• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Field Day ---How was it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC0RV

Ok over all my first Field Day was exciting. Kinda of mike shy at first. I may about 16 to 18 contacts for my first time out. Had good time seeing the others in the club.

What about you how was your field day ?

elk2370bruce

Heavy rain on and off throughout the weekend and lightning made the background noise on 80 and 40 really horrible. Did the back stroke inside the operating tents. Still great fun and great people.

cschmit

I had TONS of fun. Our club is more about socializing then the contest but it was a blast. I only made about 8 contacts but made lots of new friends!!

jmp883

My first Field Day was a blast. Had on-and-off rain throughout the day on Saturday but no lightning or thunder to deal with. Made about 10 or so contacts during my 4-5 hours of operating and logging. Made a great contact: Station W1AW, the station of the ARRL. I'm sure many stations QSO'd them during the weekend and that for many hams it is just another station to work. I thought it was pretty special to be able to work W1AW, and so did the members of my club. I've only been licensed since March of this year and a member of my radio club since May. Just about everyone in the club congratulated me for making that QSO.

What really impressed me were the several CW stations we had operating. Our CW operators were absolutely impressive to watch. The dots and dits just seemed to run together but by watching their logging programs you could track the individual contacts. Even if CW is dropped as a requirement for the General class license I think I'm still going to learn code. I was very impressed by watching those guys.

Unfortunately I couldn't make it back to our clubs site on Sunday but I can't wait for next year's Field Day. :D

nexus

My first FD since 2000. I've only worked in 7 field days since first being licensed in 1988. This year wasn't as good as back in 2000 because no one brought pass-band filters so there was a lot of QRM from the primary CW station. He was wiping me out on all the bands except for 75 meters. And that was useless until around 7 PM. Oh and I made 2 DX contacts, TI4CTB in Costa Rica, and PJ2A in the Netherland Antillies. Those were the high points of my operating, because I've never really worked anyone outside of North America/Canada before.

All in all I managed to make 215 contacts between 75 & 40 meters phone, and a few on 20 and 15 meters. I never could get anything on 10 meters. Back in 2000 I was the novice/tech station and made 454 contacts on 10 meter phone by myself. This year I operated under the GOTA callsign W5NO We were 2A MS. The primary callsign was K5MDX. If you're reading this and worked me I'd like to know. :)

I was running my Kenwood TS-450sat with about 50 watts out and switched between the 15/20/40 meter beam and the Windom. Our FD was also more about socialization. We did have operators non-stop (I being one of them heh) but we had a lot of people just there to eat and sit and talk with. I also was commended by helping a 12 year old boy get in the op chair and he made his first contact ever into Arizona. Everyone told me how good of a job I did explaining to him how to use the radio and what to say.

Last edited:

kc2kvz

Premium Subscriber
Hi;
Had an excellent time on Field Day. We had decent weather and NO rain. Like others here, our club is more about getting together than scoring points, but we still made numerous contacts throughout the day on Saturday. Did OK on 6 into TN and KY right at the outset, then it dropped off. 20, 40 & 80 were pretty good for us as well. I don't know what the end result for our club was, but for this ham, it was fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.