Fighters seen in the Balto area

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrolman123

Today in the area of Towson, Baltimore county three fighter type jets and a smaller plane were scene flying what seemed to be a pattern. Does anyone have info on these planes. Could they have been in the area for the preakness. I was in the midst of yard work and couldnt break away to grab a scanner. Even if I could I probably wouldnt have known what to listen to.

cohenner5377

I saw these planes over the Baltimore area at around 2:00 PM. It appeared to be an intercept, rather than any type ceremonial or planned event.

David

JackTV

No intercept just a fly by for the preakness.
I saw them over around Loch Raven.... It was great!!!

Jack

MDEguy

Little off topic

As most of you know BCPD lost an officer in the line of duty last week. I have heard that there will be a full departmental funeral however not sure on dates and time. Keep and ear on 44.74mhz. as in the past MSP as well as Foxtrot will handle the over flight and practice in the area of Dulaney Valley prior to the funeral.

Jack we should be able to hear with no problem

ajpjr

Foxtrot is the call sign for Baltimore City Police Helicopter. They also have a four digit number along with the name Foxtrot.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Foxtrot uses shortened ID's when on the Baltimore helicopter common A/A freq. They might say something like "Fox 4 to Fox 2, avoid Druid Hill Park, we are on a detail..."

CA
Annapolis

MDEguy

maus92 said:
Foxtrot uses shortened ID's when on the Baltimore helicopter common A/A freq. They might say something like "Fox 4 to Fox 2, avoid Druid Hill Park, we are on a detail..."

CA
Annapolis

What is the freq for the Baltimore helicopter common A/A? Is this used by the media as well?

In addition what are the helicopters for Hopkins using? I have seen there bird, it is yellow, black and white and very busy.

Thanks

JackTV

123.025 is helo A/A
Medivac is 44.74 & 47.66 is used for the helo to hospital.

Jack

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To get this a little more back on topic - the Prez is going to be in Balt. on Wed, and there's a temporary flight restriction for the area (shown as ZDC in the facility column) at:

http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html

The DC boys, and/or maybe the Md ANG boys might be flying a short time CAP while he's here...(if one were to know such things...). I'd also keep a close watch on the Potomac TRACON and particularly BWI's frequencies. I wouldn't ignore 360.7 SWANN either....the wiki has lots of information.

73s Mike

TinEar

May or may not be the DC-ANG that gets the duty for the Wednesday CAP but it won't be the MD-ANG - assuming they are still equipped with A-10 aircraft by then. The A-10 is never assigned to a potential aerial intercept mission.

If it's the DC-ANG, look for 139.7 to be the primary frequency with HUNTRESS.

Dank

The A-10 is never assigned to a potential aerial intercept mission.

Would speed be the reason since the A-10 is slower that the others? Then again that cannon would do wonders to a 'stray' Cessna.

TinEar

Speed is one reason Dan but the primary reason is that the A-10 is designed as a ground attack monster. Although that 7-barrel gun might indeed do wonders with a stray Cessna, think how great it would be for stopping fleeing felons in a stolen car, for instance. Each police department should have at least one of them. <g>

maus92

Premium Subscriber
While the A-10 could be used for intercepts (given a slow target and good vectors from the ground), it is inherently a poor platform for this mission. The A-10 is a ground attack aircraft, and is armed with a 30mm rotory cannon designed to destroy ground targets, and AIM-9 missiles for self-defense. The plane has no A-A radar ito ndependently search for targets and aim its weapons, plus it has little excess power to overtake a business jet or commercial airliner.

CA
Annapolis

n3bxv

I didn't hear a CAP, but the Arrival and Depature of the Presidential Helicopters seemed to cause a bit of trouble for BWI Arrivals and they were put into Holding patterns for a "Temporary Flight Restriction"

Marine 1 + Backup and 1 HMX-1 CH-46 Flew over my Neighborhood inbound. Outbound was the same plus one additional Sea Knight... Wish the picture was at a better angle, but they flew almost directly over my House....

Attachments

• 31_MAY 012.jpg
    31_MAY 012.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.