Figuring out what frequency my school runs on

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlest_

Premium Subscriber
Quick question, I'm trying to figure out what frequency my school's janitors communicate on, just because I'm curious and have nothing better to do with my life.

What's the best way to figure this out? I don't know what walkies they use or anything like that. Is there a database I could look up my school in that would have it? It's a private school so it isn't here in radio reference.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
School?

Yeah, you look it up on the "DATABASE" tab on the front page of Radio Ref, click on your state. If you can't find it look in the COUNTY listings for that state or even the city listings. If it's not listed? I'd give up.

Last edited by a moderator:

NC1

If you can find out what brand of radio it is, that would be very helpful. Maybe strike up a conversation with one of them and casually ask how far that radio can talk.

You could say you want to talk to a friend a few streets away and would like to go on the web to price them to purchase a set.

That approach could possibly get you the make AND model number - that would be the ideal info needed to find the frequencies.

Good luck

Alrib123

If they have an FCC license (which they should), you can look up the schools name and frequencies would be listed

bob550

Premium Subscriber
It's possible they're using consumer grade FRS (no license) or GMRS (license) radios. They may also be using license-free 900 MHz digital two-way radios such as the Motorola DTR series, or MURS radios in the VHF-HI band. The frequency they use may not be readily available. The radios could be licensed to the local county or municipality, and the frequencies listed with theirs. The radios could also be leased from a local communications company, who would be the licensee rather than the school. My suggestion, assuming you own a portable scanner, is to search through the frequency ranges for the services I mentioned earlier, in the vicinity of the school. An alternative search method would be using the Close Call feature on the later model Uniden scanners, again in close proximity to the school.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Quick question, I'm trying to figure out what frequency my school's janitors communicate on, just because I'm curious and have nothing better to do with my life.

What's the best way to figure this out? I don't know what walkies they use or anything like that. Is there a database I could look up my school in that would have it? It's a private school so it isn't here in radio reference.

What kind of scanner do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.