Filter a trunked system

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I have several older analog scanners, but wish to get a newer digital trunking scanner. I'm currently eyeing the Uniden BCD436HP.

From looking at the regional system in use in our county:

Butler Regional Interoperable Communications System (BRICS) Trunking System, Hamilton, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

Is it possible to restrict what talkgroups I hear on the system? For example, could I exclude (or include) the following (first talkgroup line on the link above):

DEC: 20200
HEX: 4ee8
Alpha Tag: FD ALERT

n5ims

I have several older analog scanners, but wish to get a newer digital trunking scanner. I'm currently eyeing the Uniden BCD436HP.

From looking at the regional system in use in our county:

Butler Regional Interoperable Communications System (BRICS) Trunking System, Hamilton, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

Is it possible to restrict what talkgroups I hear on the system? For example, could I exclude (or include) the following (first talkgroup line on the link above):

DEC: 20200
HEX: 4ee8
Alpha Tag: FD ALERT

Yes, nearly all current model scanners allow you to program in what you want (as well as don't want) to hear.

For example, you can program it to pick up the system (program in the control channels and if necessary all of the system channels) and then associate to that programmed system the talkgroup(s) you want to hear and indicate that you only want those that are programmed in to be heard (often called flagging the system as "closed"). The downside to this is you will only hear talkgroups you have programmed (duh!, that's the point of a "closed" system!). Why is this a downside you ask? Well, if they add some new talkgroups of interest, you won't hear them (or perhaps even know they exist) until you program them in.

You could also handle things the other way. You program it to pick up the system (program in the control channels and if necessary all of the system channels) and set that system to "Open" (on some this is to add a "wildcard" talkgroup code) so it's set up to pass along everything on the system (don't worry, it won't really be everything once you're done). Next, program in the talkgroups you do NOT want to hear (those pesky sewer worker talkgroups for example) and set them to be locked out. That way you'll hear everything EXCEPT for those that you've specifically locked out. Note, you may also want to program in those you do want to hear so you'll get some more useful text when they're received (like "FD Dispatch") instead of just the talkgroup # (like "56430") but you'll need to make sure that they are NOT locked out.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Thanks for that informative reply! This should be posted as a sticky somewhere, if not already.

Status
Not open for further replies.