filter for HF radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang108

Premium Subscriber
I have heard of a commercial filter you can buy for a Kenwood radio receiver., I have a Kenwood TS430 and have the Kenwood SSB filter but it isn't that good., is there a company that makes narrow SSB filters for various radios ?
thanks in advance
Mustang108

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
There is a very good inexpensive DSP box from RS you can find on ebay, eham, or at hamfests...it is an outboard DSP audio filter, and it has worked wonders for me and my original 706! I only paid $20 for mine.

cleve

Years ago I bought a RS DSP external filter. It worked so poorly that I returned it. RS later discontinued the unit. It sounds like the same one. It sounds like Mass-Man has had better luck than I.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Filters

I am not sure there are internal filters for a rig as old as the TS430! But not quite sure...

I have actually had very good luck with the RS external DSP filter. The IC706 SSB filter just does not cut it, but when I finally found the RS box, it helps a great deal...it is not much of a NB, but for cutting out adjacent SSB sigs, it has helped quite a bit.

73's

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'd suggest looking at the link I gave - it does indeed sell filters for the 430.

That RS DSP unit had several flaws, and mods were floating around the net to fix them, successfully as I understand it. The DSP40 (as I think it was known) still is a nice lo-cost way to get into DSP filtering.

However, that does not in any way help the ultimate rejection and selectivity - which is handeled in the IF sections, not the AF - of a receiver. Adding a filter - if you can - is about the only way to improve the situation. 73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.