Filters, again

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Highly doubtful. Any change should be inconsequential. The laws of physics dictate the conventional frequencies are for the most part “ground wave” dependent. (So if you are differentiating between the sphere layers, it’s not a concern.) But the scope of your question is broad in nature. Define what you mean by atmospheric conditions. Band openings (Skip)? Or barometric and temp changes?

I would think the physical location of the scanner should have more to do with a decision to use a filter setting than atmospheric conditions. That’s why I did not attempt to improve reception by using filter settings on the SDS200 I have mounted in my truck. I did try filter settings on the SDS200 at home, saw no difference and chose not to use them. (I am fortunate to be one of those people who receive all that I am interested in without any interference, simulcast, etc.) But I never considered atmospherics as a factor when choosing a filter.

djeplett

About the only time I could think that conditions would change enough to warrant a filter change would be tropospheric ducting causing a new station to come in strongly near to the frequency of a station you're trying to receive. But of course that would be temporary, so useless to change the filter.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Good answers to an interesting question. I do use filters on conventional objects. I leave Global filters on normal and only change a conventional Channel filter after sampling using global, with real-time results of the noise level and RSSI on the display. I only sample wide normal, invert and wide invert. I do have a lot of RF in my area. Once I find a particular filter works better I put Global back on normal and go into the department of that conventional Channel and change it permanently.

I only use filters for troubleshooting when there is clearly a problem picking up either a system or conventional object. It's interesting when you talk about atmospheric changes as... if anything... when the weather changes and gets cooler and crisper and also the foliage goes away, I find my reception improves on conventional objects for the most part.

mr10pt

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the input. appears to be a one day occurrence so far. Wont make any changes.
Luckily, its only on one system/channel that's not always monitored.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the input. appears to be a one day occurrence so far. Wont make any changes.
Luckily, its only on one system/channel that's not always monitored.
It's a good question, hey for shts and giggles, you can always hold on a conventional frequency and hit function 7... You never know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.