Filters question about sds200

Status
Not open for further replies.

crippledchicken

Premium Subscriber
Is there just the global setting that one setting is for all channels/systems or, is there a way to use different filter settings on each problem channel in case different channels require different filter settings for best results? Thanks! :)

WA2QBJ

Premium Subscriber
Hi..The good news is each favorite list item can have the filter independently selected. The Global is a default that can be set up in the menus.

For Non Trunked Systems
Go to: Manage Favorites>Select Favorites>(Pick Your Dept to Modify)>Review/Edit System>Edit Dept (Select Dept)>Set Filters

For Trunked System

Same Process but select "Edit Site" after "Review/Edit System" as you are modifying the filter for the transmit site being received

Hope this helps

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is there just the global setting that one setting is for all channels/systems or, is there a way to use different filter settings on each problem channel in case different channels require different filter settings for best results? Thanks! :)
The Global filter setting, in your Profile, sets the default filter to be used unless you specify otherwise.

For Conventional systems, the filter setting can be specified at the Department level. If you set Normal as your Global filter (in your profile), then if, for a given department, you specify to use the Global setting (Normal), then all channels in that Department would use the Normal setting. If, instead, you set a Department as "Off" (it's under the Option tab when editing a Department in Sentinel), then no filter would be used, even though the Global setting is normal.
For a system that has multiple departments, select the system, then select it's Departments tab to see the chosen settings.

For Trunked systems, you can set the filter to be used in the Options tab for each site. You can use the default (Global) setting for any or all sites, or tweak the filters as desired on a site by site basis.
For a system with multiple sites, you can select the system, then click the Site tab, and see how each site is set:
You can set the sites from that point, or select an individual site and edit the filter setting via it's Options tab.

As WA2QBJ has noted, the filters can also be set through the scanner's keypad.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just to add my methods that I use for the filters. I always adjust the filters on the radio itself because you are looking for optimal reception as you fiddle with different filters. You use RSSI and noise level not to mention how the object sounds.

A couple of notes. Leave Global filter on normal which is the default for a reason that means that every object in the radio will have normal filter apply to it unless you go into each site of a trunked system and change it to your liking. As mentioned to change a conventional Channel you go into the apartment options that that channel is located in, unfortunately you can't change each specific Channel filter it has to be done through the department so it applies the same filter to every object in that department, to get around that you can program your radio so that conventional object requiring specific filters can be grouped together in the same Department.

I would avoid using the auto filters as they sample each filter on each object slowing scanning way down and when you get better results you don't know what filter did the trick. So basically you are choosing from Global which is normal, wide normal, invert wide invert and no filter at all which I have gotten better results with a few conventional objects.

Your results are going to be different than the next person because you're dealing with your own environment.

Before the filters were introduced in firmware updates my VHF and UHF was terrible and I was having difficulty on my hometown P2 simulcast system with clipped transmissions and missed Transmissions. Once the first set of filters was introduced it turned all of that around.

I look at filters not as something that has to be apply to everything, I look at filters as troubleshooting problematic objects

Some examples in my area for me, I have to apply ifx to every Aviation frequency I listen to, I leave the filter on global which is normal by default. I find that problematic VHF High frequencies like marine and rail respond to wide normal With Better Sound and lower RSSI.

All of my simulcast systems work better on invert or wide invert. It took care of the clipping and missed transmissions and deliver a lower RSSI.

Again the reason you want to do it on the radio is you are constantly listening for improvement which can be a problem on VHF and UHF channels that don't transmit frequently. It's important to remember once you attach your radio to Sentinel the first thing you have to do is transfer the information on the card to your profile as to save all the changes you made directly on the radio.

Mastering the filters is critical to having the SDS radios perform optimally.

I almost forgot, make sure to put the filter indicator on your display so you know what filter is on each object. It's important to help keep track.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

Emoney250

I must need to update my Sentinel Software. I dont get the "filters" tab on anything like I see above.
What was that link to update? thanks!!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is no Filters tab. It's an option in the Miscellaneous tab in the Sentinel profile editor (when Target Model vis set to one of the SDS models). In the favorite list editor, look in the site/department Options tab.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
When choosing which filter setting for a specific channel to use I try them all and look for the best RSSI reading. Is that what most are doing? (Are the RSSI values affected by location? By that I mean a permanent base location as opposed to a mobile installation...)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When choosing which filter setting for a specific channel to use I try them all and look for the best RSSI reading.
That's the wrong approach. You should be looking for the lowest NOISE/D-ERROR readings. Strong signal isn't a good thing if it's strong because of interference. Signal quality is based on signal to noise ratio, not on overall signal level.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That's the wrong approach. You should be looking for the lowest NOISE/D-ERROR readings. Strong signal isn't a good thing if it's strong because of interference. Signal quality is based on signal to noise ratio, not on overall signal level.
I distinctly remember Paul saying the same exact thing when adjusting the filters the noise level is more indicative than the RSSI. I still use both but remember, you're also listening to the transmission and that's why you should do it on the radio, so when I see the RSSI improve and the quality of the modulation and audio improves at the same time especially on conventional items then I take note of the RSSI.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
But even then, the significant factor is S/N ratio, not RSSI. There are times when noise will go down when RSSI goes up, but there are also times when noise and RSSI will go down together.

Adjusting filters to decrease noise and improve S/N ratio is always correct. Adjusting to improve RSSI will be the wrong thing to do sometimes. There's no good reason to recommend something that works 50% of the time over something that works 100% of the time.

radiopro52

For me the "Wide Normal" global setting works best. Every other setting, including turning the filter off, results in reduced RSSI readings (like -100 dBm) and missed transmissions. The best setting for you though will most likely vary depending on how much RF interference is in your area, and maybe even your antenna setup.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
For me the "Wide Normal" global setting works best. Every other setting, including turning the filter off, results in reduced RSSI readings (like -100 dBm) and missed transmissions. The best setting for you though will most likely vary depending on how much RF interference is in your area, and maybe even your antenna setup.

That seems to be the common filter setting for most, including myself. In addition, I have some 700Mhz systems I also use the Attenuator in conjunction with Wide Invert from my home set up with an outdoor antenna.

Peerlessk

For me too and I’m on the fringe outside right on my county line . Actually I’m on three county lines . Wide normal . Sometimes wide invert those two filters work best for me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.