Final Launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis

Status
Not open for further replies.

ID2003

Launch time: 2:20 p.m. EDT Friday May 14, 2010
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida

STS-132 will be the final planned launch of the space shuttle Atlantis on a mission to the International Space Station. There will be only two space shuttle launches remaining before the Space Shuttle fleet is retired, and the US manned space flight program comes to an end. Listen to live NASA communications at: Kennedy Space Center Communications Live Scanner Audio Feed

Austin4Wyo

Thanks for that link. I've got NASA TV on right now, watching them strap everyone in and just downloaded Winamp so I can adjust the two feeds from the streaming audio.

Pretty excited, because I got my first hits from the ISS on my PRS-500 a few weeks ago too. No clear audio, but I've got it set to alarm and keep the light on when it hits, so I'm kinda stoked about that.

trace1

Mission accomplished and for those who just might be wondering, perhaps this will shed a little light on the subject...

DailyTech - Space Shuttle Atlantis Returns Home After Final Flight

NASA isn't quite done with Atlantis though. In the wake of the Columbia disaster, the agency has a requirement for a backup shuttle to be ready for a Launch On Need (LON) mission. These missions would be mounted to rescue the crew of a Space Shuttle if their vehicle was damaged and deemed unable to make a successful reentry. The ISS has had sufficient room and supplies to provide shelter for astronauts since STS-125, making LON missions unnecessary. However, the final space shuttle mission (STS-134) requires Atlantis as a LON shuttle. The rescue mission would be designated STS-135 if it is needed.

A remote possibility also exists for one more mission if STS-135 is not needed. Atlantis, its external tank, and two solid rocket boosters will have been prepared to flight-ready status for STS-135. A potential STS-135 would use this prepped, readied, and paid-for hardware to fly a full operational mission to the ISS. It would be an extremely simple mission to deliver supplies to the ISS via a Multi-Purpose Logistics Module (MPLM). The large pressurized container is used to transfer cargo to and from the ISS, and will need all the spares it can get before the shuttle fleet is retired. The mission is contingent on Congressional approval, and is not currently planned.

Regardless of the outcome, NASA plans to sell Atlantis to an education institution or museum for $28.8 million.

By the way, welcome home Atlantis and congratulations on a great mission.

ID2003

Apologies to all listeners that tuned in this AM for the Shuttle Landing. With only 9 minutes before touchdown at Kennedy Space Center my feed went down. The AT&T gremlins decided to take down the DSL network in my area. Thanks for listening to the KSC feed. ID2003

Status
Not open for further replies.