Finally getting the hang of these quick keys. But....

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

Here's a couple things.

1.What is the purpose of assigning a QK to a site?
2.If you accidently turn the site off none of the traffic will be heard correct?
3. How can you tell if you have a channel disabled that's further down then the system and department? Ie, Favorite: Maryland Police, System: Baltimore Police, channel: site. In this scenario favorite is 1. Maryland police, the Qk1, Department Baltimore police Qk1, channels Qk1, site QK2. So to turn the site off would be 1.1.1.2 if I do that accidentally is there an asterisk that shows that I turned that off or do I just have to realize no radio transmissions are coming through?
4. When saving a favorite I can name a system and department but I can't just put the channels into the named department or system folder without a sub category. Ie, I created a Department name under a system named Baltimore police but I can't just copy the channels over to it. The system saves it to "Police" so when looking at the channels I have to click an extra drop down menu. Maryland police, Baltimore police, police
Hope this picture isn't to aggravating I reduced resolution for those who said my last post had to big of a picture.

5.I wanted to save a full data base of a department (Baltimore police) that has a bunch of units as well as districts. I also want to have the ability to monitor just one district. Is it best to 1. copy a duplicate of the channels to my favorites then delete the unwanted channels, 2. Copy a duplicate of the channels and avoid the unwanted channels or 3. Set up a separate favorite?
6. Lastly I am not understanding what pressing the Function button shows when the F0 SO changes to F0 D0
ru4ezy6y.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lawman210

Ok something just doesn't add up. I think there is one to many QK options.
When I highlight my entire Favorite lists on left of screen It shows my a summary of my 3 favorites on the right. Each favorite is listed on the right with a column for Qk. In this example my Maryland police is qk1, weather service is 9 Citizens band 19 but when I highlight each individual favorite on the left they show a different quick key. Maryland police qk1, weather service qk2, citizens Band qk19
ave3y3ap.jpg
3utysyju.jpg
a8ede3uj.jpg
ehyzypyn.jpg
ja3ahe8e.jpg

lawman210

One more thing when you have a Favorite above 9 and turned off how do you know it's turned off? Favorite 1-9 shows an asterisk * but when I turn FL above that off I don't see an indication

lawman210

I also noticed my S0 changed to S1. That will only happen if I have a system somewhere in a FL above 9? If I had a system 12 turned off in my favorite say favorite 6 how would that show me that system is off?

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Correct on the first statement.
Question two, if I understand it correctly should show this on the screen:
F0:******6***
S0:0123456789

If you had system numbered 10 on favorite 6 enabled, System 11 and 12 disabled, and nothing higher the display would read:
F0:******6***
S1:0**-------

You use the number following the S as the first number in the system, so S4: would be 4 followed by the LAST number in the systems numbered 40-49. I.E. system 87 would be S8:*******7**

lawman210

Wow that's crazy numbers. Now I know why they said a cheat sheet would be needed. Very overwhelming when all those numbers are flashing on and off

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
I am experimenting right now. I have one master favorites list, with every conventional, trunked system in range, as well as the statewide P25 system with all the sites within range enabled, and all statewide departments enabled.

I then have about 14 other favorites, with each favorite covering a specific department... i.e. Local Fire Dept, Local Police Dept, Local State Police, Local Sheriff, Local Other, Aircraft, CB radio, Ham radio, etc.

I am comparing the scan speeds, etc. What the one favorite for each dept does, is makes the use of those quick keys fairly meaningless, since you can toggle on and off each one with the favorite list...1 enter, 2 enter, 3 enter, etc. It also shows the favorite name after the S0: line, and allows a lot of customization.

The master list version, however, seems to pick up lots of transmissions from towns, counties WAY out of what I would normally expect to receive, but then calls into play that cryptic cheat sheet requirement to toggle them on and off, and to be honest, I still dont know how to toggle one off. I hit . . #, and the scanner just beeps at me. All very confusing. Ive just resorted to using the AVOID button on the front panel, and leaving the scanner on 24/7 so they dont get reset :)

The separate list for each department/city/interest seems to be the way to go for me. The master list is good for listening to stuff way out, when you just want to listen and dont really care what comes in.

AC2OY

I agree Dave I tried to play with the range setting lowering it but I still get everything mostly for me,NYC and probably all five burrows.

lawman210

So many features location control, range and then squelch. As Kramer once says "it blows my mind"

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yep . . . it's amazing how electronics have evolved. 40 years ago scanners did only 8 channels and were crystal controlled. All you had was a volume control, squelch control and switches to turn channels off and on.

On the other hand, looking at telephone, 40 years ago all we had were hard wired rotary phones. Nowadays we got smart phones that start your car, close your garage door, set your TV to record something and even make a phone call!

Can you imagine what folks will have 20 years from now?

Status
Not open for further replies.