Finally going to get the Home Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

McP

Good article along with some others there. If I understand it correctly, selecting "no" is more like my other scanners when I go to work. I listen to what is near home and as I get farther away, I lose that and start to pick up the area I work in. There really isn't much overlapping as I work 60 miles from home.

OCO

Yes. The downside is that the bigger the scanlist, the longer the scan cycle. This really comes into play if you've got a large trunked system like the Michigan MPSCS with hundreds of towers and thousands of talkgroups. Setting it to not use location makes for a long cycle time..

I think it's interesting that the HP1, touted to be for novices (using location based scanning) grows into a much more sophisticated unit as the user does,morphing to one programmed for specific systems, with those systems edited to exactly what one wants to listen to...

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I havve found that on larger systems such as Starcom21 and Safe-T etc, etc it is alot easier to scan these systems, some of the location entries in the DB are erroneous but i am sure that is being worked on, case inn point Arkansas Awin Troop D had a lat and lon near Olive Branch, MS and not Forrest City, AR
are the talkgroup locations in the rr database or HP?

OCO

It's all from the RR Database...Talkgroup location data on statewide systems apparently varies, depending on how each system works. In the Michigan MPSCS system, all TG locations are in one of two dummy lat/long locations with a range large enough to cover the whole state, which turns off location control on the TGs.... If they're active on the tower(s) within range of your location or if a roaming unit from a non-local TG lights up the tower(s) you receive you'll hear that TG activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.