Finally got my License!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI7IXM

Finally I officially have my Technician license, I guess they really mean it when they say it takes 14 day's for it to get entered into the FCC database because they waited until day 13 to do it. Funny thing is I called the ARRL this afternoon to see if there was something holding it up and they lady said it would be another week because they were short handed, But I just checked and it's finally in the database.

k6cpo

It's unfortunate that it takes an organization as large as the ARRL two weeks to get the information to the FCC, yet our little VEC here in San Diego County, California typically has call signs appear in the ULS the Monday morning after a Saturday test session.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Welcome aboard KI7IXM!

You'll find amateur radio to be a great hobby.
As K6CPO posted about the delay time...took my test on a Saturday and before 7 am on the following Monday, had my license! And it was free of any fees also.
You'll find many things that you can do with amateur radios; CW if you're so inclined, DX, etc.

KI7IXM

I guess it all depends on how fast the VEC sends in the paper work, There were only 5 of us that took the exam, 3 women and 2 men, so it's not like they had a bunch of paperwork to do but oh well, I've got it now. Hopefully when I go in January to take the General exam it doesn't take as long to upgrade.

Delta33

Finally I officially have my Technician license, I guess they really mean it when they say it takes 14 day's for it to get entered into the FCC database because they waited until day 13 to do it. Funny thing is I called the ARRL this afternoon to see if there was something holding it up and they lady said it would be another week because they were short handed, But I just checked and it's finally in the database.
Congrats ! Welcome to our Zoo lol !! :)

k6cpo

I guess it all depends on how fast the VEC sends in the paper work, There were only 5 of us that took the exam, 3 women and 2 men, so it's not like they had a bunch of paperwork to do but oh well, I've got it now. Hopefully when I go in January to take the General exam it doesn't take as long to upgrade.

The problem with the larger VECs (ARRL, W5YI, Laurel) that test nationwide is that all the results have to be sent to a central location to be checked and the electronic batch file prepared for submission to the FCC. In many cases the results are sent by the VE team via the US Postal Service. Even with Priority Mail, this slows the process.

Smaller organizations, like SANDARC (San Diego Amateur Radio Council) have the ability to deliver the results the same day, whether by hand or electronically. This allows the VEC to review the results and prepare the batch file promptly, resulting in call signs appearing the ULS quicker.

A good example is the examination I administered Saturday evening. There were 34 individuals taking the Technician examination after a day long class. I scanned all the paperwork and sent the file to the VEC yesterday morning. All the call signs were up in the ULS database before I even got out of bed this morning. And I've already heard some of them on the air...

If the larger VECs could start taking steps to transmit their results electronically rather than by mail, the process could be accelerated and these two-week waits for call signs could be reduced.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber

Welcome to the greatest hobby in the world (well, next to scanning, AM DXing and shortwave listening!)!

There is lots to do in amateur radio and there are plenty of good people here on Radio Reference to help you along the way.

Another good source of info is a site called "eHamnet.com". It's dedicated to amateur radio and there is a ton of info there:

http://www.eham.net

Remember, there are no dumb questions here!

73 de W4PKR
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.