Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoDave

Well, after a whole bunch of years (probably since its inception), the Communications Divison of the Birmingham Police Department finally had an appreciation luncheon/cookout for its dispatchers and call-takers.
The event was organized by two of the supervisor Sgt's. of the radio room who added their own money to monies collected from vending machine sales.
The cookout included BBQ pork/ beef, chicken, hot dogs, corn, and all the fixin's. Fox6 came by and did a short story about it.
The Mayor, Deputy police chiefs and former Chief Nunn came to the gathering as did many former dispatchers.
It was a great time had by all.

My personal thanks to all involved.

SAR923

I'm glad to hear that you guys finally got some recognition for all the hard work you do. I can tell you that all of us on the street thought you were all the greatest thing since sliced bread. :)

dave911

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations, Dave! I'm really glad to see that the Mayor and Police Chief attended. You guys are a vital link in the chain and it's about time you were treated that way.

TechnoDave

dave911 said:
You guys are a vital link in the chain and it's about time you were treated that way.

Hmmm...makes ya wonder. Tonight on the news, Councilwoman Miriam Witherspoon is fighting for a raise for public works. Still no mention of a raise for the dispatchers/calltakers. And for those of you that didnt know, no, we were not included in the 5% raise "for public safety" employees. That included only fire fighters and police officers. (Who really couldnt do their jobs without us... but I digress)

Dave, I think I got some good pictures, will send them to you as soon as I get the downloaded.

Altpensacola

telecommunicators week

Escambia County Florida....
We get an Email thanking us for what we do,
then a few weeks later, when it is EMS week, we get their left over presents from the hospitals, and breakfast.

oldranger

I worked at a papermill in Childersburg as an electrical engineer for 25 years.
When I left, I didn't get a pat on the back or a handshake.No gold watch either.
We were reminded that we were paid well (?) and not to expect any thing else.
The rewards,awards,praise,bonuses ,etc was reserved for upper management
I'm glad I'm out of there.

EMS-1

Glad they recognized y'all finally for the great work you do. Unlike the Blizzard of '93 when Myself and other "Dedicated Professional Communication Operators" were stuck in Fire Alarm for 19+ extra hours and all we got was an Attaboy and a Cold Breakfast !. From 15:00 friday until 16:30 Sunday we worked furiously and continously only to finally got the OT for it Several Months Later...what gratitude!.

dave911

Premium Subscriber
I would say that I feel for you, Carl, but I was stuck working in the snow for 4 days straight. I've never been so mad in my life! I loved snow until that happened. Now, I can't stand it... even 15 years later. We even transported one lady on Engine 16 because there wasn't any other way to get her out. Don't ask me how many times we got stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.