Find coordinates on a map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padovani

If you take w2xq's suggestion, and plug those figures into an online lat/lon calculator, you end up with decimal degrees 38.48388889 N, 75.30055556 W. Enter those into Google Maps and it puts you in the Great Cypress Swamp of Delaware. Is that close to where you expected?

bb911

When overhearing dispatch coordinates, can't locate them on google maps. Example North 3829.0, W 7518.2

I believe that yours is in degrees, minutes, seconds but it should be: N 38° 29' 0", W 75°18' 2" which is in Delaware.

For decimal forms of lat-long, Google: '38.483333, -75.300556' (yours in decimal form) without the ' '. (- for West longs, - for South lats). Also, you need to have at least 4 places after the decimal point. Most lat-longs are given in decimal form these days due to GPS.

(I had to edit his decimal format because I entered a lat-long for NV by mistake)

Last edited:

evilgriff

That worked. Put the numbers into a calculator, then the decimals into google maps. Guess they are using "shorthand" or they enter the coordinates that way into their unit.
Not sure why they do it this way but they do.

CCHLLM

W2XQ pretty well nailed it. When LatLongs are being used, they're usually given over comms in the natural groups: Degrees > Minutes > Decimal Minutes, or sometimes but not often, Seconds. Grid locations instead of LatLongs are also used, but they are a completely different format. There are phone apps that will convert it for you. Navigation apps and nav gear allow you to choose the format that suits the operation and will convert from any one to the others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.