Finding a frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinquist

Premium Subscriber
I live in a complex in San Jose, CA that is patrolled by a company called Bayside Patrol. Their guards have two way radios on their belt. I can't find an FCC license for them or anything on cityfreq.com.

Without an FCC license, I suppose they could be using MURS frequencies, but their headquarters (and presumably dispatch) is 10+ miles away, so I don't think that would cut it. Any other license-free possibilities?

I think I need a frequency counter...

N1GTL

Database Admin
Could be itinerants, MURS, GMRS licensed as a sub-company or they could be renting access on a local GMRS repeater.

klinquist

Premium Subscriber
N1GTL said:
Could be itinerants, MURS, GMRS licensed as a sub-company or they could be renting access on a local GMRS repeater.

Hm.. ok. I've been scanning the GMRS & MURS freqs and haven't heard anything. What do you mean by 'itinerants'?

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Other possibilities

klinquist said:
I live in a complex in San Jose, CA that is patrolled by a company called Bayside Patrol. Their guards have two way radios on their belt. I can't find an FCC license for them or anything on cityfreq.com.

Without an FCC license, I suppose they could be using MURS frequencies, but their headquarters (and presumably dispatch) is 10+ miles away, so I don't think that would cut it. Any other license-free possibilities?

I think I need a frequency counter...

They could be renting airwaves spaces from a comms provider.
There are several LTR systems I listen to that have diverse traffic because it's a 2 way radio service. Open Space Rangers, Dogcatchers and dumptrucks on the same commercial system.

Look for LTR or other commercial systems in the area.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
To expand on what NW0U said, they could be leasing space on a commercial trunked system, LTR or otherwise. If this is the case, you won't find them in the FCC database, because the end users of trunked SMR systems don't need to have a license.

Another possibility is that the license is issued under a name that wouldn't be obvious to someone searching the database. For example, there used to be a local septic tank company called, "Johnson Septic Tank Co.". They used two way radios, but their license was listed under "F.A. Johnson, Inc.". If you didn't know that F.A. Johnson was Johnson Septic Tank, you might easily overlook them in the FCC database.

Yea... our whole fire department is under our part time Lieutenants name here... so good luck

Other way to do it from what i have heard is put your scanner on the close call option if you have it and you might find it there.

RodStrong

Eyeballing the antennas on their radios could also give you a bit of direction as to what the frequency range they are using is.

klinquist

Premium Subscriber
W4KRR said:
To expand on what NW0U said, they could be leasing space on a commercial trunked system, LTR or otherwise. If this is the case, you won't find them in the FCC database, because the end users of trunked SMR systems don't need to have a license.

Another possibility is that the license is issued under a name that wouldn't be obvious to someone searching the database. For example, there used to be a local septic tank company called, "Johnson Septic Tank Co.". They used two way radios, but their license was listed under "F.A. Johnson, Inc.". If you didn't know that F.A. Johnson was Johnson Septic Tank, you might easily overlook them in the FCC database.

Understood. There are surprisingly few trunked systems in this county:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=225

*Plotting how I could social engineer the information out of the company* :)

klinquist

Premium Subscriber
Tfitzmaurice89 said:
Other way to do it from what i have heard is put your scanner on the close call option if you have it and you might find it there.

Hm.. I've just got a Pro-92... I'll have to find the manual :).

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
klinquist said:
Hm.. I've just got a Pro-92... I'll have to find the manual :).
It doesn't have that feature.

SCANdal:
Your off topic post was deleted. There is a method used here if you have a problem with something, use it.

CVPI4Ever

Why not just ask them for their frequency? If someone asked for ours, I would give it to them, though nothing interesting happens. Other then that, just use a scanner with close call and see what happens.

CVPI... unless there are beach patrol guys like us, they are going to have no idea. Where im an explorer at, i know alot more about our radios and what frequencys we use more then the firefighters do. Just an idea... but i dont think that one would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.