Finding a scanner in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotoMoMo

So I have decided to get back into the hobby and that I'm going to buy a new digital scanner. I have it down to two units. I am looking at the Uniden BCD996XT and the GRE PSR-600. I really can't decide what one I will get. I plan on getting the arcXT Pro software if I get the 996 or the arc-psr500 Pro if I end up with the GRE. That being said I would like to hear some imput on these two scanners. I have read endless reviews and whatnot on this board as well as the rest of the web but I still can't decide. Also where in NJ can I get either scanner? I would like to get it today!! Or tomorrow if I must wait. I don't really feel like making the drive to DE to Ham Radio Outlet but it looks like I might have to. Advanved Specialties is closed till tuesday. Any ideas? Thank You for the imput.

MotoMoMo

Looks like they are closed on Sundays. I will give a call on Monday morning and hope they have what I'm looking for. Till then I search to maybe get something sooner.

08GMC4X4

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Where did u get if from?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You don't need to buy software - just go get the freeware FreeScan. The user manual is in our wiki, and you can easily access it from here

You're going to need to sit down and read a few things; the newer Unidens use a memory scheme called Dynamic Memory Addressing or DMA, and if you start thinking in terms of 'banks' you're already off the guide. DMA allows you to define your own 'systems', and define sites and groups beneath it. In addition, most all PCs nowadays don't have any serial ports - you have to do all your connections via USB.

To start, go to the blue toolbar below the Scanner Master ad, float your mouse over Wiki and select Wiki Homepage from the pulldown. Note that all links are in blue. On the right, you will see 2 sections - in the Links for Beginners, we have an article about Connecting scanners via USB (this article will tell you which USB cables are known to work with the Unidens, drivers and how to install them). In the Popular Topics section is the Uniden DMA FAQ.

At the bottom of the FAQ is the Easier to Read manual series. Although we don't have one for the XT series, there is one for the original 996 - it's close enough to give you a good read on the scanner.

You have a premium subscription so you can import data from the database; however, FreeScan can also import UASD and ARC files - so don't ignore these as a source of input

73 from a former NJite Mike

MotoMoMo

I am running the ARC-XT Basic right now. I did a lot of research so I understand the DMA and what it is all about. The Radio Reference ability to transfer info is great. So far very happy with everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.