Finding a School's bus frequency on a Radio Shack Pro-2036 scanner..

Status
Not open for further replies.

QHaba

Premium Subscriber
I can't seem to find a bus frequency I "want" on this site, could someone help me? E-mail me to respond **I want it to be private for safety reasons** My e-mail: briskeyben@gmail.com (spam e-mail) Let me know.

Thanks!

One would need some more information ie: school district, bus company, and if your scanner is capable of receiving. It is possible that the bus company is using a business radio from a company they are paying for their service (and are private for safety reasons). You might have to do your own homework.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
The Pro2036 *which I used to have* is an old scanner I still have the manual. It's from pre-Trunked 800Mhz days. Most Bus Companies and Schools Districts are running on DMR systems around me. 2036 does not get those, only gets 29Mhz-956Mhz analog/Conventional signals. A lot of Buses these days are using Digital DMR or other digital formats.. You might look in COUNTY listings and then scroll for Buses/Educational in Radio Ref databases. My guess is the frequencies you seek can't be received anymore on that scanner

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin

ecps92

to add to the list, do they even use or have Two-way radios for Voice :)
One would need some more information ie: school district, bus company, and if your scanner is capable of receiving. It is possible that the bus company is using a business radio from a company they are paying for their service (and are private for safety reasons). You might have to do your own homework.

QHaba

Premium Subscriber
Mk, the school I am looking for is under there, It's called "Robbinsdale Area Schools", and there is something called "RBBSDL TRIPS" or something like that, would that be it? Let me know. The bus company is just through the school, so it's called Robbinsdale Area Schools - District 281.. Not sure what the bus is called though, I think it's a Thomas build bus.. They use Kenwood's. I looked at the radio when I got on the bus, one time I saw "Repeater", and one time I saw a frequency with a 100 or something like that. Let me know.

QHaba

Premium Subscriber
Also, what is a good Scanner to get? I would also be willing to get a cheap kenwood cb and I could program it to the frequency.. Not sure if you are allowed to post links to shopping here, but if you are, post some off eBay you looked for if you want. Looking for something under 40.00.. Thanks.

I would also be willing to get a cheap kenwood cb and I could program it to the frequency.. Not sure if you are allowed to post links to shopping here, but if you are, post some off eBay you looked for if you want. Looking for something under 40.00

You're WAY off on your budget for a radio.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
They are very unlikely to be CB radios. Most likely they are VHF or UHF using public service frequencies that are licensed to either the school district or a radio service provider.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
School buses use just about any frequency. Just in my neighboring counties alone we have lo band, VHF, UHF, NXDN, DMR, and 800 MHz LTR all in use. But I can say with about 99% certainty that they do not use CB. That is never a good option for any business or agency. Finding their licenses can be hard, because often they work under another carrier's licenses (like here a lot of transportation is under RCS Communications' licenses).

Have you looked in the database? There is an entire section labeled "Robbinsdale Area Schools." The first two frequencies are repeaters. Those are your best bets for traffic. The other ones are mobiles which means they are probably used on field trips and such and can only be heard up to a mile or two away.

Like I said... pop 461.8375 and 462.1625 in and see what you get. (Be advised that they are licensed to use DMR, NXDN, and P25 as well as good 'ol FM)

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Also, what is a good Scanner to get? I would also be willing to get a cheap kenwood cb and I could program it to the frequency.. Not sure if you are allowed to post links to shopping here, but if you are, post some off eBay you looked for if you want. Looking for something under 40.00.. Thanks.
For FM only stuff about your only option in that low of a price range is one of those cheap Chinese HTs like the UV5r or UV82.

But nearly everything in your area including Police and Fire are running digital. You will not find a digital scanner anywhere close to $40. Especially if you get something with DMR and NXDN (I see a lot of those systems in your area), it will run you several hundred dollars.

QHaba

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if they have frequencies for "Robbinsdale Area Schools" District 281, first student..

I have been looking all over and can't find it.

Wondering if someone could help me look, I really want to listen..
You may call me crazy for wanting to listen to buses, but it's fun to me..

I got on my schools frequency, so I can probably do this. Just let me know the frequency if you find it and I'll see if it's it.

Oh, yeah.. They use older Kenwood Mobile Radios. Not sure if that's important, but there ya go.

I have a pretty large antenna, so I can probably get on it if I knew the code.

Thanks.

6079smithw

I was wondering if they have frequencies for "Robbinsdale Area Schools" District 281, first student..

I have been looking all over and can't find it.

Wondering if someone could help me look, I really want to listen..
You may call me crazy for wanting to listen to buses, but it's fun to me..

I got on my schools frequency, so I can probably do this. Just let me know the frequency if you find it and I'll see if it's it.

Oh, yeah.. They use older Kenwood Mobile Radios. Not sure if that's important, but there ya go.

I have a pretty large antenna, so I can probably get on it if I knew the code.

Thanks.
Try this URL: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WQJG309

Status
Not open for further replies.