Finding an Antenna Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbailey1712

Hi - What's the best way to track down a professional installer who is familiar with amateur radio antennas? I live in Chicago and have checked with a number of antenna installers (they all come from an HDTV / Home Theater) background, but none are up for the challenge.

There's always something that's a catch, whether it's working with the feedline, the connectors or even proper antenna assembly.

Suggestions for how to seek out a good installer?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Check with the local two way radio shops.
They'll have the tools and test equipment to do it correctly.
Chances are, one of them will be an amateur radio operator also. Rare that I run across a radio shop tech that doesn't have a ham ticket.

It won't be cheap, but it'll get done right.

ab5r

Your best route to take is to find a local Amateur Radio Club and ask there. More information would be helpful too: Type of antenna, mounted of what & where etc..

Good luck
Jerry AB5R

tbailey1712

Check with the local two way radio shops.
They'll have the tools and test equipment to do it correctly.
Chances are, one of them will be an amateur radio operator also. Rare that I run across a radio shop tech that doesn't have a ham ticket.

It won't be cheap, but it'll get done right.

That's a great suggestion on a local 2-way radio shop.

Scope of work is pretty straightforward... Mount a vertical dual band antenna to an existing chimney, install an N-connector jack in the wall and run about 60 feet of RG-8 through the wall and up to the antenna.

Thanks all.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's a great suggestion on a local 2-way radio shop.

Scope of work is pretty straightforward... Mount a vertical dual band antenna to an existing chimney, install an N-connector jack in the wall and run about 60 feet of RG-8 through the wall and up to the antenna.

Thanks all.

Yeah, a good tech could knock that out in an hour or two. Locally tech "bench time" is about $85/hr. Likely more for on site.

I'd recommend going with something better than RG-8, though. If you are going to spend money to have this installed, might as well spend a bit more on the coax. You might be able to get a favorable deal from the installer. Since most shops buy cable in bulk, they'll likely have reels of suitable stuff. Also, since you want them to cut it to length and terminate, you want them to use something they have the proper crimp tool for.
LMR-400 would be an option. LMR-600 would be better. They may be able to give you a good price on LDF4-50a 1/2" heliax, too.

Don't overlook proper grounding and lightning protection.

A cold six-pack of beer can go a long way for ensuring a happy install tech.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
You can't find an local Ham radio club to give you an hand,if i lived in your area i would do it for free the hams in my area are always helping each other out I myself have helped many fellow hams with antenna projects good luck.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.