Finding DMR Frequencies in Your Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecarvalho

Fantastic update to your site AggieCon. I've placed it in my bookmarks!
If you have a chance let me know how you suggest I program my 536 to monitor amateur DMR repeaters.
I suspect I need to use one-frequency DMR but I hear nothing ... DMR on the repeater I can hear is very quiet which doesnt help me test and compare...
I will try to donate a bit more to help you with your hosting expenses. I find your website extremely helpful.

73s\
Eduardo

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I'm pretty sure P25 and DMR can roll right in together on Sentinel and ARC. I'd just have make the tone column dynamic. If anyone seconds the idea, I'll definitely explore the possibilities.

An idea of how folks are organizing their scanlists would help me cater to proving data that fits everyone's needs.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I was going to mention but hit enter too soon:

Thank you to everyone who has donated. Without your support the recent updates would not have occurred. I very much appreciate it.

I haven't read all of the DMR programming threads, but, for most applications, I do not see the benefit of a DMR One Frequency System.

I recommend programming as conventional objects as described in my Sentinel Quick Import instructions (you'll have to do a county search to get to the page): DMR Frequency Quick Import

The only time I would do the DMR One Frequency is if there is a talkgroup on the frequency that is annoying and you want to avoid it. Otherwise, unless you just want to have a name next to talkgroups, there's really nothing to be gained.

ecarvalho

Yes. I was going to mention but hit enter too soon:

Thank you to everyone who has donated. Without your support the recent updates would not have occurred. I very much appreciate it.

The only time I would do the DMR One Frequency is if there is a talkgroup on the frequency that is annoying and you want to avoid it. Otherwise, unless you just want to have a name next to talkgroups, there's really nothing to be gained.

Pleased to donate.
OK - I think the same way. Onefrequency DMR programming seems to be more of a cosmetic need and as you said, if I want to avoid a particular TG.
I've ordered a DV4mini and will with that, end all my repeater issues. A DV4mini connects to amateur DMR networks online and servers as a local hotspot for my HT in a frequency of my choice. It allows me to transmit and receive into any DMR TG for which network I happen to me connected to online. Its pretty neat stuff.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I created an online search tool with similar data (the Excel document will have slightly more frequencies due incomplete FCC data and an issue with locations that are tied to a second location -- however the Excel sheet also has duplicates).

You can search by county and state, only.

Let me know what you think: DMR Frequency Finder

There are over 170,000 frequencies in this database.

Just checked this out, very nice work.

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
To apply the update, first unzip BCDx36HP_V1_11.12.zip and use the password (which is the odd sequence of letters, symbols, and numbers at the end of #5, above, including punctuation). Then, copy the appropriate "bin" file to the "firmware" directory that already exists on your scanner. Finally, cycle power.

this is where I got off the bus! I unzipped the file, used the password, saw the .BIN file, after that i'm lost!

Tryton

From their, make sure your scanner is plugged in. go to My computer and look for your scanners sd card (it will assign a drive letter) Open it and you will see a folder, click on that folder and you will see another folder called "Firmware". Copy the bin file into that folder , once completely copied over, unplug your scanner from the computer, and you should see "Updating firmware" on your scanner. Once that is done go to settings, then you will see drm upgrade. That is where you would enter your key.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I just did the upgrade on my new 536.

Either read the microSD card from the scanner using the USB or use a card reader. If using the scanner, launch it as mass USB driver (E/yes, I think is what you push). Open My Computer. Find the appropriate drive. It will be around 3.7GB if you are using the original card.

Navigate to the drive then -> BCDx36HP -> firmware. Move the correct .bin file to that folder.

Power cycle your scanner and it should do the rest.

Then you get to fuss with copy and pasting from my website.... It's not too bad, though. I put ~200 frequencies into departments by entity and made 3 trunked systems in about 15 minutes.

Touch base with me if you want me to walk you through it.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Howdy!

I've launched an update version of the Digital Frequency Search Tool on a new URL: Digital Frequency Search

Improvements and upgrades include:

• Responsive web features. The website will resize appropriately, wrap text, change the navigation banner, etc. as you resize the browser window. This is especially useful if you want to split your screen with the website on one side and scanner programming applications or a spreadsheet on the opposite side.
  • Updated GUI.
  • Improved reliability and security.
  • Upgraded hosting server, completing searches in almost half the time compared to the old website, based on my benchmarks. I suspect you will find the website is quicker than the FCC website and other common websites that search frequencies.
  • Call signs now hotlink to the FCC listing for the license.
  • Updated import procedure instructions on the Quick Import pages.
  • And more.
Check it out and let me know what you think.

Eduardo, thank you for the donation. I'll send you a note just as soon as I put the finishing touches on everything.

JR, that could certainly be arranged. Would it be preferable to have all of the protocols in the same output, or would you like DMR and P25 segregated?

Thank You! Looks and Works Awesome!

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Howdy!

I've launched an update version of the Digital Frequency Search Tool on a new URL: Digital Frequency Search

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Now that is a incredable site. You do some pretty NICE work.

The only thing I want to ask about is duplicate freqs. If you search nxdn for Suffolk county NY there are duplicates that have the same info, like this for example,

154.49 MO 5 Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds, Inc. WQXT622 IG APPLICANT IS A CAMPGROUND AND WILL USE RADIOS TO COORDINATE DAILY ACTIVITIES BETWEEN COUNSELORS, SECURITY, AND MAINTENANCE STAFF.

154.49 MO 5 Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds, Inc. WQXT622 IG APPLICANT IS A CAMPGROUND AND WILL USE RADIOS TO COORDINATE DAILY ACTIVITIES BETWEEN COUNSELORS, SECURITY, AND MAINTENANCE STAFF.

I do see that some users do share freqs but there still ones that dont share and list it more than once. Is there a way to set it to not behave like this?

i"m more confused than bruce jenner at a porta potty!

Lmao now thats a good one.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Now that is a incredable site. You do some pretty NICE work.

The only thing I want to ask about is duplicate freqs. If you search nxdn for Suffolk county NY there are duplicates that have the same info, like this for example,

I do see that some users do share freqs but there still ones that dont share and list it more than once. Is there a way to set it to not behave like this?

Lmao now thats a good one.

I am aware of the duplicates in NXDN and know I need to fix it. It's an artifact from having so many emission designators for NXDN. While those look duplicate on the printout with only some columns visible, those are indeed unique entries with different emissions. All of the market service frequencies have duplicates too due to the contact information. Additionally, the market service adds in a lot of wrong frequencies (every lower bound of their allocation, so lots of whole megahertz frequencies). I am thinking about dropping the market list. Thoughts?

These problems are mostly back end, and, now that I have the front end pretty much where I want it, I'll work on getting the perfect data. But I'm going to wait until Sunday so I can do it with the next FCC release.

I'm also going to add some options for reducing "duplicates."

Please note that this is primarily a "search" tool, useful for narrowing down the spectrum from infinity to a dozen/hundred/thousand frequencies more likely to have what you are looking for. The deduplication can be accomplished in Excel; I made it easy to copy and paste -- no data export ban there. And, honestly, the programming software should have those options as well.

I also have to separate out conventional and trunked P25 better.

Is anyone interested in a search that shows only trunked frequencies by entity, to try to identify, build, and order unknown trunked systems?

And yes, I really got a good laugh out of the porta potty joke too. That's a good one.

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
I just did the upgrade on my new 536.

Either read the microSD card from the scanner using the USB or use a card reader. If using the scanner, launch it as mass USB driver (E/yes, I think is what you push). Open My Computer. Find the appropriate drive. It will be around 3.7GB if you are using the original card.

Navigate to the drive then -> BCDx36HP -> firmware. Move the correct .bin file to that folder.

Power cycle your scanner and it should do the rest.

Then you get to fuss with copy and pasting from my website.... It's not too bad, though. I put ~200 frequencies into departments by entity and made 3 trunked systems in about 15 minutes.

Touch base with me if you want me to walk you through it.

I've got mine programmed (I think), I didn't do anything fancy just copy paste and wrote to scanner, when I set it to scan DMR frequencies all I see for Departments is 0000.
I would like to get up with you about how you set yours up, all i have is 88 channels, the ones for Cleveland county NC if you wanna take a look.
I'm sure it's scanning but I haven't heard anything yet.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
For my home county, I put them in as conventional channels with each entity/business being its own department (copy and pasted the lines out of the website instead of the who list).

For the trip I just made, I put each county in its own department (15-50 DMR frequencies per county). I didn't pickup anything DMR, but I did get one PD as P25, which is the nice thing about doing them as conventional. I'll go into Houston on Monday and play around with it. Since most of the users are businesses, traveling on Friday evening isn't going to be a high traffic time to listen.

For the trunked, I programmed as conventional and also put them in as trunked. Use Excel to remove duplicate frequencies before doing the trunked. I need to find a busy enough system to go test out the LCN order function.

If it were me, I would put Walton's Mart, Boeing, Durafiber, etc. in their own departments. A lot of these private business (unless they are service or transportation) will require you to get close to listen. I'd program as NFM as well for good measure. Put the Kings Mountain in as both conventional and trunked. Nothing wrong with listening to trunked in conventional mode, it just may not follow a tralkgroup perfectly and doesn't allow you to select by talkgroup.

Thanks for the gift and I received your note. I'll write first thing tomorrow. I am hitting the hay.

mondaro

Feed Provider
How does one know what type of DMR system it is like conventional repeater or trunked system example cap or pri plus ?

Thank You.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
There will be a little indicator on the bottom of the display, next to last line.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Thanks, but I was referring to the programming of the radio itself, how does one know to set it to conventional or trunked, can you tell from the license what type of system it is ?

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
For the trunked, I programmed as conventional and also put them in as trunked. Use Excel to remove duplicate frequencies before doing the trunked. I need to find a busy enough system to go test out the LCN order function.

"If it were me, I would put Walton's Mart, Boeing, Durafiber, etc. in their own departments. A lot of these private business (unless they are service or transportation) will require you to get close to listen. I'd program as NFM as well for good measure. Put the Kings Mountain in as both conventional and trunked. Nothing wrong with listening to trunked in conventional mode, it just may not follow a tralkgroup perfectly and doesn't allow you to select by talkgroup."

Sounds so easy except I know nothing about Excel, actually i'm not real sure about how to do any of what you just said!

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, but I was referring to the programming of the radio itself, how does one know to set it to conventional or trunked, can you tell from the license what type of system it is ?

If you are on my website, the srvc column shows what it is licensed for. As a general rule, IG will be conventional and anything starting with "Y" is trunked. Hover over "srvc" for reminders and click the link that box to view all codes.

Of course, licensing information is only as good as the quality of the paperwork and is just a general guide. Trust the reality on the ground.

Also, there are probably conventional and trunked systems in the market bands that you can search for. Right now, those owners are signified in my database as by the lower frequency of their spectrum allotment. Pull up their call sign for the entire range.

A friend pointed out that when programmed as conventional, you'll miss any voice traffic on the control channel. Also, you might want to avoid the control channel so it doesn't keep stopping on the data.

-----

I'll try to make some videos on Monday. I'm on a trip right now. If you want to send me the favorite's list you have so far, I'll look it over and add to it the stuff in your county.

Status
Not open for further replies.