Finding frequencies not listed in the db

NS9710

How would one go through searching for channels not listed online, timetables, and the such, I know there are frequencies that aren’t listed in the timetables or on the db here, or anywhere else for that matter.

I just don’t want to run through the whole list of channels for nothing

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I know there are frequencies that aren’t listed in the timetables or on the db here, or anywhere else for that matter.

The best way to find unlisted frequencies is to search/scan the railroad band in analog and NXDN and hope you run across traffic while you are searching. You can do Google searches and see if you find some document not found by others in your area. Another way is to do a search of the FCC database and see what is licensed in your area.

Most scanners have the capability of doing a search type scan , in which case the radio is tuned to each frequency in a band skipping to the next channel based on the channel width and radiation mode of the band, such as 12.5 khz for narrow band FM.

If the scanner locks on because a channel is active, my scanner saves the frequency in a list then, if the signal drops, moves to the next channel and resumes scanning.

Some scanners can move on to the next channel after a user-specified delay if the signal continues to break squelch, while others require the user to press a button (such as lockout) to continue. This gets around the problem of transmissions like ATCS BCP which intentionally are a pure broadcast rather than half duplex flipflop where the signal starts and stops regularly.

I have both a bc-125at and an sds100 that both have a search capability.

Hope this helps.

Erich

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator

ecps92

There are 97 AAR channels on the old 15 kHz spacing (Railroads (United States) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference). Program them all into a bank or favorites list on your scanner and scan them all. Note the frequencies that register hits. Then further investigate those frequencies to see how they are being used.
and, depending on your Region/Area, keep in mind, some RailRoad channels have been given away to other users, so what you find May/May not be Railroad related