Finding the right antenna for Edacs Systems in Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
First off, I hope not to get chastised too bad if I'm writing this in the wrong Posting Area. My problem, I live in Pasco County, Florida, 5-6 miles north of both Hillsborough and Pinellis Counties. Most of the public safety agencies are Edacs Systems. I have no problems receiving Pasco County communications, but living so close to Hillsborough (Tampa Area) and Pinellis (Clearwater Area), it would be nice to hear them also. I currently use a Rubber Austin-Condor BNC mount on a BCD396T. Since I live in a deed restricted community that does not allow outside antennas, I want to make sure I purchase something right the first time since I'm taking such a chance. Can anyone offer any information on a small outside antenna that should do the job, or should I just settle on the fact that what I want is not possible? Tony

KE5TLF

Well if everything you want to hear is in the same general direction, (and assuming it's all 800) a 800 MHz yagi would probably fit your needs if that's the only band you're interested. Get one with as many elements as you can afford and even the longer ones should be relatively easy to hide. Hang it from under to an eve or facia maybe, or mount it on short pipe on the roof away from the street side. Could go as far as even painting it to blend in with area too maybe.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply. I never gave any thought to painting the antenna. I have since looked at a Yagi style antenna. Can I assume this is something that is directional? If so, the two counties just south of me are certainly transmitting from different locations, can you simply aim it in the general direction and it will work?

KE5TLF

Yes, a Yagi is a directional type antenna, though for the purposes of scanning it should work fairly well on stuff in the "general direction" it is aimed. It should also work pretty good on nearby stuff that is pretty far off axis too. By "nearby" I would say around 10 miles or so.

If you're handy with a drill and soldering equipment you can build your own out of very common materials too. There's tons of info on the web on how to do this.

ermin

First off, I hope not to get chastised too bad if I'm writing this in the wrong Posting Area. My problem, I live in Pasco County, Florida, 5-6 miles north of both Hillsborough and Pinellis Counties. Most of the public safety agencies are Edacs Systems. I have no problems receiving Pasco County communications, but living so close to Hillsborough (Tampa Area) and Pinellis (Clearwater Area), it would be nice to hear them also. I currently use a Rubber Austin-Condor BNC mount on a BCD396T. Since I live in a deed restricted community that does not allow outside antennas, I want to make sure I purchase something right the first time since I'm taking such a chance. Can anyone offer any information on a small outside antenna that should do the job, or should I just settle on the fact that what I want is not possible? Tony

If your not too far away try the Radio Shack 21-176. I use one n Palm Beach County and it works great. I have mine in the attic. ( they last forever there ;p) )

Ed

Last edited:

abbadabbado

antenna pointing

i am on the gulf coast of port richey. that said my experence here shows you want pinellas with clearwater which is west of you you want hills which is south of you an pasco which is north of you i have a yaga but it i half to point it north for hernando an citrus countys an all directional for pasco an countys south. to do what you want you will need several antennas to work good you might not have to go very high because you are in a hot signal zone i like the cammoflodge ideal good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.