Finding TRBO Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello, are TRBO systems able to be downloaded to the radio via Sentinel? I cannot find this one when I expand Tennessee / Shelby County in Sentinel: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=10005
TRBO systems are in the database used by Sentinel, with one exception:
Trunked systems with no identified talkgroups are not in the database. This applies to any trunked system- P25, Moto Type II, DMR, NXDN, etc.

One someone identifies a one or more talkgroup, and submits it to the database, then that system would then be available in Sentinel. Right now, there are no talkgroup ID's for the system.

Looking at the site information, I see that the only frequency shown, 451.525, has been submitted as LCN 2, using Color Code 2. However, for the license shown, WQAN335, I also see frequency 461.175 on the license. You might try creating a system with both those frequencies, and then run the LCN finder, to see if 461.175 is also being used. When creating a system, set it for ID Search, so that you can began harvesting any talkgroups you find. Once you (or anyone else) submits a talkgroup to the database, the system will then be in Sentinel after the normal data update.

regression

Thank you very much @hiegtx. I assume when creating a system in Sentinel, I would use "MotoTRBO Trunk"? If I put use this system, does it matter what LCN is set for 461.175 before using the LCN finder?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much @hiegtx. I assume when creating a system in Sentinel, I would use "MotoTRBO Trunk"? If I put use this system, does it matter what LCN is set for 461.175 before using the LCN finder?
Obviously, we have no idea whether or not that second frequency is used or not. I would suggest entering both the one that is listed currently in the database, 451.525, and also the other frequency on the license, 461.175. While you could enter the known frequency's LCN of 2, if I were trying out that system, I'd set both of them at 0 (zero), then run the LCN finder. Depending on how busy the system is, it could take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for the LCN finder to work. Once it's done, you should get a prompt 'all LCN's found'. At that point, press <FUNC> + <SYS> (it will also show that on the display), which will allow you to save the results. Then, you can either 'read' the scanner back into Sentinel (or any other software you may be using) to view the results, or use the menu to 'Manage Favorites', then select the list the new system is in, and select 'Edit System' to view it. To see what LCN's wee found, use Edit System, then from the next screen, select Edit Site.

Select the site, then highlight the site name, and hit Enter (E) again to select it.
At the next menu (after selecting the site), Choose Set Frequencies & press Enter to select.
That will show you the frequencies entered. Pick one of them, then press Enter to select.
The screen will show the frequency selected, with your choices of Edit Frequency, Set Color Code, Delete Frequency, and New Frequency (if you needed to add another, which, for now, does not appear to be the case).
Choose Edit Frequency and hit Enter to select.
You'll see the frequency displayed (screen name Input Frequency). Just hit Enter again.
The next screen is Input LCN, There, you will see whatever LCN (if any) the scanner found for that specific frequency. If nothing found, it would show 0 (zero). If it actually established an LCN, you would see the number.

Do the same for the second frequency, following the steps above to see what LCN was established for it. The frequencies do not have to be LCN 1 & LCN 2. It could be 2 and 5 for them, or any other number combo. Both would NOT have the same LCN number.

If you'll use the System Status mode in the menu, instead of LCN finder, you would see the site ID, as well as the Color Code being used (in case 2 is not correct. I would leave the color blank, at least initially, for your 'test' system to verify the LCN's, then after you find the LCNs, use System Status to verify the Color in use, and the site's name.

Once you verify the LCN(s), be sure that what's saved in Sentinel matches what you found, so that your system does not get overwritten with incorrect data. (If you 'read' from the scanner, be sure and save the updated file. Or, if you verify the LCN's manually, by 'editing' the site as shown above, then edit your Favorites list to make it match the results).

regression

@hiegtx, thank you again! I'll use both frequencies and use LCN finder. I just noticed the system is located on the other side of the city from me, so I may not be able to pick it up with my handheld. So I'll have to use a better antenna or look for the system when I am closer to it.

When setting up the system, can you confirm I should set the system type to: MotoTRBO Trunk?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
@hiegtx, thank you again! I'll use both frequencies and use LCN finder. I just noticed the system is located on the other side of the city from me, so I may not be able to pick it up with my handheld. So I'll have to use a better antenna or look for the system when I am closer to it.

When setting up the system, can you confirm I should set the system type to: MotoTRBO Trunk?
Yep, that's what you should use.

I've found quite a few DMR/MotoTRBO systems here in my area, that aren't in the database, or that are not correct. Some of them are listed as LTR systems, but in fact converted to TRBO.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.