Finding Utility Frequencies of Nearby Antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

juneau

Feed Provider
Hello,

There is a government HF radio installation near me that uses an end fed HF antenna and an HF Log periodic antenna on a 50' tower. I have done all the frequency research I can and have come up dry. Is there a nearfield frequency logger option that will log ALE or SSB traffic below 10 Mhz that is reasonably available?

Thanks for any replys

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Scanning HF frequencies rarely works well because any noise or QRM will trip the recording (and noise becomes an issue as you go lower in frequency). There's nothing out there (cheap) that separates recordings by mode. There are many recording packages that will allow you to sit on a frequency and record with a timestamp (the famous RecAll does this).

But before you do that, what radio or SDR are you using? And if a SDR, which one, with what control program?

You might also consider joining the Utility DXers Forum reflector on groups.io- there's a slim chance you might find others there with the answer...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
By the way, if it is a Fed site, you'll never find the listing, ever. They're classified by the NTIA, not accessible to the public.. Mike

juneau

Feed Provider
By the way, if it is a Fed site, you'll never find the listing, ever. They're classified by the NTIA, not accessible to the public.. Mike
Maybe not from the gov but there are other outlets for frequency information for government sites.

juneau

Feed Provider
Scanning HF frequencies rarely works well because any noise or QRM will trip the recording (and noise becomes an issue as you go lower in frequency). There's nothing out there (cheap) that separates recordings by mode. There are many recording packages that will allow you to sit on a frequency and record with a timestamp (the famous RecAll does this).

But before you do that, what radio or SDR are you using? And if a SDR, which one, with what control program?

You might also consider joining the Utility DXers Forum reflector on groups.io- there's a slim chance you might find others there with the answer...Mike
I am more thinking of sweeping the MF/HF range with a SDR and a small antenna while in close proximity to the TX antenna. Any signal from the site will be far above the noise floor and should stand out.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
You are likely wasting your time. The Utilities and Fed customers of mine leave the HF gear off unless there is a monthly/quarterly scheduled net that day. Some of the customers even fully disconnect the equipment from RF/power and store it in pelican travel cases or grounded metal boxes (unless it is a NEMP hardened site). Yes, there are specific stations who are always on and are listening/transmitting (MT Weather, SHARES, NLEC, etc). But, very few people who have HF capability use it on a regular basis, especially if isn't their primary communication method. Please don't let this discourage you, but you may want to set your expectations lower. TT

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
I am more thinking of sweeping the MF/HF range with a SDR and a small antenna while in close proximity to the TX antenna. Any signal from the site will be far above the noise floor and should stand out.

Don't get too close or a high power transmission might take out your receiver. Maybe attenuation or paper clip to begin. A cheap hand held triggering freq counter would be best.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I doubt a frequency counter is going to be cheaper than a rtl-sdr. Also, a UHF whip will have plenty of attenuation in the HF band.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
If I had to make a VERY wild guess perhaps the HF station near you relates to USCG Juneau sector.

That might give you an idea of frequencies to scan. If I were a gambling man, I'd concentrate my listening
on frequencies from about 7-15 mhz day, and 7-3mhz at night. Given current conditions (poor at high freqencies) and how far up north you are, I wouldn't expect much use of frequencies higher up then the 15mhz or so at this time.

Also I have successfuly scanned HF SSB before, by cranking the squelch very high, such that it requires about S9 +10 to break through, which can work for nearby strong signals.

If I were really serious about finding freq's in use at this site, I'd prolly want to beg/borrow or steal :) an SDR like a top of the line FLEX so I could monitor all of several HF bands at once graphically/visually for activity that is so strong it suggests being obviously nearby.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.