Findlay, OH - Findlay Police to convert radio system to scramble mode Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixfreak0037

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, and in my humble opinion, I believe that encryption should be used for car-to-car, but NOT dispatch. It seems like a reasonable compromise to me. That way anyone interested and still keep tabs on what's going on (which I'd say is pretty important to the local news media), while the police can communicate tactical information with each other confidentially.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Not to take pot shots, but look at New Jersey, the most corrupt state of the union today."
You're telling me something I don't know? Hey, I only live here. (;->)
"I bet they would like to hide behind encryption."
LIKE to? A fair number of systems have been fully encrypted for a long time and more and more make the change "every day".

"If you believe encryption was mandated, quote the FCC Report and Order which stated same."
Don't take the chicken way out by challenging me, I never rise to troll bait. My word stands until proven wrong and so far no one has... can you?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
You need to check your facts. The FCC never mandated that sensitive transmissions be encrypted. Nor did they mandate digital. The only thing that has been mandated is narrowbanding, and that does not have to be digital.

If you believe encryption was mandated, quote the FCC Report and Order which stated same.

That is correct. I think the only thing that was mandated (if it was even a mandate) was that all "Federal Government" radio comms of a sensitive nature should be encrypted. Stuff like FBI, DEA, ATF, Customs etc. I don't remember what federal office made that rule but my brain is telling me it was the NSA or the newly developed DHS back after 9/11. Heck, it may have come down directly from the white house but I don't really remember.
I still often hear open comms from the agencies I mentioned but much is also now encrypted.
The private sector is free to do what they wish other then the narrowbanding rule coming into play as was already stated.

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Don't take the chicken way out by challenging me, I never rise to troll bait. My word stands until proven wrong and so far no one has... can you?

Not sure I understand... You say that the FCC has mandated encryption. Those of us who actually work in the public safety radio field have told you that no such mandate exists, from the FCC, FAA, Congress, CIA, FBI, or any other organization in or out of government. Your response is that PYR is just a troll, and you won't post a link to the ruling as a result?

cfr301

"Not to take pot shots, but look at New Jersey, the most corrupt state of the union today."
You're telling me something I don't know? Hey, I only live here. (;->)
"I bet they would like to hide behind encryption."
LIKE to? A fair number of systems have been fully encrypted for a long time and more and more make the change "every day".

"If you believe encryption was mandated, quote the FCC Report and Order which stated same."

No such Order was ever issued by the FCC. Suggestions were made by DHS that agencies CONSIDER encryption when applying for Federal Grants to move to new systems or Narrow band compliance.

There is no need to challenge you , since your information is WRONG. As for the troll bait thing thats really not needed here.

I was involved in the planning stages of regional communications upgrades from the post 9-11 days until I retired.

Rick

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

No troll. Just a public safety communications professional who deals with the FCC on a regular basis. If you have proof, please provide a link to the R&O.

'Nuf said.

quarterwave

I'm still confused on the original post. Are they going from Analog to MARCS or MARCS to Encrypted MARCS?

Anyway...full time encryption is unecessesary and usually just a power trip by some administrative official. OSP is not full time encrypted, but ODNR is? Gimme a break...it's a power trip. ODNR needs to encrypt the checking of tiolets, mowing of park grass and scooping up a dead squirrell? LOL.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
I'm still confused on the original post. Are they going from Analog to MARCS or MARCS to Encrypted MARCS?

Anyway...full time encryption is unecessesary and usually just a power trip by some administrative official. OSP is not full time encrypted, but ODNR is? Gimme a break...it's a power trip. ODNR needs to encrypt the checking of tiolets, mowing of park grass and scooping up a dead squirrell? LOL.

You are confused...

The city of Findlay shut off their analog TRS and switched their operations to MARCS. Local media has reported that all Police communications will be full time encrypted, which hasn't seem to have happened as of yet.

As for ODNR, only the enforcement side is encrypted, all maintenance operations are still in the clear. Thus you can still listen in to the checking of toilets, mowing of park grass and scooping up a dead squirrel.

Viper43

Findley PD has never had too many brain cells running the show. Remember the brilliant thinking that led to them buying Chrysler K-Cars? hahaha, and they still thought they could catch me, hmmm, K-car with lightbar vs 69 GTO Judge Ram Air IV 400...... those things were so slow a moped could loose them! They didn't last long, but I remember one officer being so proud of his new K-Car....wonder if he's the one with the brilliant idea to go encrypted too?

V

akuser47

Findlay P.D.?

I bought my GRE500 to listen and stay in the loop. now they do this incryption crap. I wouldn't be surprized if the University paid for it for the PD to do this. the news vary rarely was ever printed or reported. Their is currently gangs having shootouts right near my house. They never put it in the paper that would be bad for a University city like Findlay. I guess I will start putting in cameras and selling the footage to the Toledo news for some cash and then we will see how it plays out. I find 9mm shell casings on the road alot now this isn't a shooting range either. ok now that my rant is done My problem- is there anyway to listen to this traffic anymore or do you have to have a license? and new radio? Well I guess I am out of luck I will probably be selling my varly used GRE 500 now

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Since you say that it is encrypted then it is encrypted. You won't and can't listen in on the talk. Just input the old frequencies that the PD was using and I'll bet you will hear some of the talk there. You can also do service searches and see if you come up with anything that way also. Might be a simulcast of the talkgroup that no one has come up with yet.

I know there are some Findlay, Ohio locals that are pretty active within this forum that will point you in the right direction. Good luck over here in Pa. there is the OpenSky system for the state, I know how you feel.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
My problem- is there anyway to listen to this traffic anymore

No. It'd be quite a waste of resources for them to encrypt is there was a way to listen.

do you have to have a license?

No, there is no such thing as a decryption license.

The press has no more right to public information than you do.

Ehh, not sure. Court cases have shown that the public safety agencies have a responsibility to allow the press the ability to hear dispatch-type comms. My guess is this newspaper expects a free radio. That's not in the law.

Might be a simulcast of the talkgroup that no one has come up with yet.

Nah, there are no talkgroup simulcasts, let alone in the clear or on another band.

kenshabby

Ehh, not sure. Court cases have shown that the public safety agencies have a responsibility to allow the press the ability to hear dispatch-type comms. My guess is this newspaper expects a free radio. That's not in the law.
Do you happen to have any of those case citations available? If so, please post. Thanks.

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Not offhand, I looked it up back when I got a radio for my TV station and forwarded them to MPSCS.

N8IAA

So,can Hancock county and Findlay be monitored on the MARCS system?
Larry

Found my answer. Findlay PD is the only encrypted TG on the Hancock county MARCS system.
Larry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.