Fire Chief & Nextels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankRenda1

Every once in a while the local Fire Dept Dispatcher asks the Fire chief if he has his Nextel with him. I Wanted to know what the Dispatcher is talking about?

Thanks Frank

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
He's asking the chief if he has his Nextel cell phone with him. Usually that would mean the dispatcher would call the chief (or something else might follow...like "Car 1 is going to call you" and have a phone conversation. It's sort of like "heads up, I'm going to call you...will you answer?"

FrankRenda1

Thanks! Thunderknight

I just found this on RR's Wiki

Nextel, contrary to popular belief, is not a cellular telephone company. They operate an "Extended (or Enhanced) Specialized Mobile Radio" service (ESMR). It does look like a cell phone, and it operates like a cell phone...but it really isn't. It is a business radio with telephone interconnect, and operates in the business/industrial part of the 800 MHz spectrum (851-866 MHz). As the largest licensee of ESMR channels, they are also responsible for the largest number of interference complaints to public safety.

Is this the same Nextel System?

Thank Frank

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
To the common user, it's a "cell phone".

However, Nextel is, from a technical standpoint, a little different than Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, etc.

That being said, a lot of Nextel phones now are actually dual mode phones: Nextel iDEN and Sprint CDMA.

For most people, it's safe to call a Nextel subscriber a "Nextel phone".

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Thanks! Thunderknight

I just found this on RR's Wiki

Nextel, contrary to popular belief, is not a cellular telephone company. They operate an "Extended (or Enhanced) Specialized Mobile Radio" service (ESMR). It does look like a cell phone, and it operates like a cell phone...but it really isn't. It is a business radio with telephone interconnect, and operates in the business/industrial part of the 800 MHz spectrum (851-866 MHz). As the largest licensee of ESMR channels, they are also responsible for the largest number of interference complaints to public safety.

Is this the same Nextel System?

Thank Frank

Nextel iDEN is a wide trunked radio system and the frequencies are in the business band Nextel and Telus use the same band plan. It also has the ability to do full duplex phone calls like a cell phone.

Yes. It's a cell phone.

No it is not

Is it Possible to Scan the Chiefs?

Frank

No iDEN is not monitorable

Status
Not open for further replies.