Fire Department Canteen/Rehab(Orlando area)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB1UAM

Was wondering if there are any volunteer Canteen/ Fire Rehab groups in the Orlando area? Not sure if this is the right spot to post.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
OFD operates a canteen maintained by their Firefighters Benevolent Assoc. It is operated by "Active" and "Retired" OFD FF's on a voluntary basis. It's not a "Buff" canteen as other parts of the country operate. It is dispatched on major incidents as requested by the IC.

JimD56

Feed Provider
To add...In Miami-Dade we operate our Canteen the same way. We have 3 of them strategically located at different firehouses. 1 Tractor Trailer and 2 smaller ones. They always need help and allow "buffs" or "friends of the fire service" to volunteer, but only current FF's and retirees can drive them.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Orange County Fire Has Rehab-1 it was manned by the reserves last I heard, when I was there it was driven by 1 old time reservist

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly Rehab-1 was auto dispatched on 2nd alarms and higher

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
And anyone can join/ volunteer?
I started as a Reserve in the Late 80/s and 90s, Reserves in Orange County do work Firefighting shifts, or at least they did when I was there,
but I have been away for a bit so you might want to look here - Fire Rescue Careers, Reserve and Youth Programs
scroll down to the reserve Part, it is an Unpaid position, but good for people who want to get their feet wet and learn, I had a lot of fun, used to go to training at the Central Florida Fire Academy at Mid Florida Tech

james32746

Premium Subscriber
Seminole County has a rehab unit at Station 24, however if it is requested, Rescue 24 (or if they are unavailable Engine 24), goes out of service to man it.

alanlungs2

DeBary Volunteer Firemen’s Association has been operating one for the last 30 years. Support 33 is fully manned by volunteers some who live as far away as Lake County and responds to prolonged operations primarily in the Southeast Volusia County area and other areas if called. For more information go to debaryvfa.org.

JimD56

Feed Provider
Orange County Rehab 1 is an "Operational" Vehicles cross staffed as needed by other "on duty" units, operated by the department and active line firefighters, and officers. There is a cadre of volunteers that maintain the truck in a state of readiness, but again "active firefighters and officers.

JimD56

Feed Provider
And anyone can join/ volunteer?
Orange County Rehab 1 is an "Operational" Vehicles cross staffed as needed by other "on duty" units, operated by the department and active line firefighters, and officers. There is a cadre of volunteers that maintain the truck in a state of readiness, but again "active firefighters and officers.

JimD56

Feed Provider
This is our primary complete with sub-zero fridges and flattop grill, 8 burner stove and oven all restaurant grade.
The other 2 are more quick response like chow trucks, that have just snacks and beverages.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 15

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Yeah they changed it, I can’t remember the guys name who drove it, but a lot of the people I worked with have either retired or passed, got to keep in mind my first EMS instructor who I worked with for a long time had a single digit Paramedic number lol

Status
Not open for further replies.