Fire Department tone outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescuecomm

Now that Greenville County has fully switched to Pal800, what do rural departments have to alert their volunteers? Something over their cellphones?

mattbrissey

One of our part time guys that is full time in Greenville told me they are using unication pagers. According to unication, they are the only pager that is p25 compatible.

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
And a lot of volunteers are getting the hand me downs off of the old radios that EMS and fire used to use for VHF

mrat1234

Hey everyone i have found a zone layout for Greenville county. Hopefully this will help with identifying all the missing talkgroups. It looks like the database is missing a ton of talkgroups for Greenville county.

Attachments

• slide_24.jpg
    slide_24.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 78
  • slide_25.jpg
    slide_25.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 72

rescuecomm

Yes it is. I used to converse with a ham that was a volunteer in one of the Spartanburg FD's. He had a Unication pager that he paid for. ($$$$). Back when Horry County went 800, they kept a VHF Channel that alerted the existing pagers. You would have thought Greenville county would have done the same using the UHF 453.500 repeater. Who knows what goes on behind closed door contract negotiations.

rescuecomm

And a lot of volunteers are getting the hand me downs off of the old radios that EMS and fire used to use for VHF

I don't think that the hand me downs would help if the dispatch frequencies are not used. They would be good for fire ground use.
I have been monitoring the Greenville SC legacy UHF and VHF frequencies. Don't hear anything unless the departments went back to their own licensed frequencies to alert. The Unication scanner/pagers were provided by the department or private purchase? More than $600.00 per unit is a lot for a volunteer to spend at one time.

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
I wish the County Programmed radios were not password protected to read. I have tried to read one and they have it locked down.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
We have a number of different threads concerning Greenville County fire department radio use. There have been many changes in the last year, and that's really an understatement.

I'm reviving this thread because mrat1234 in a post above this one linked to some images of a radio layout or template for Greenville County fire department P800 radios. Those images come from a set of training slides from the Boiling Springs (Greenville SC) site. That slide deck has some interesting nuggets of information in it.

I used the listed template to create some tables that I have posted to the Greenville County Wiki page. There are three separate tables, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. Greenville County (SC) - The RadioReference Wiki

I have rearranged the order of the Zones (groups of channels) but they're all there, with the talkgroup or frequency value posted under each channel. I'm surprised how many talkgroups in the layout have been identified and posted in the database. There are not many unidentified groups.

I also updated some service tags and re-ordered the talkgroup list on the database page today to better reflect the usage of the channels based on this layout.

Comments welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.