Fire Depts Bill for Service, Accident Victims to Pay Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepdx

It came in the mail less than a month after Darline Fairchild watched her family's home go up in flames
-- a bill for the nearly $28,000 it cost the fire department to extinguish the blaze.

But it wasn't a mistake. The Fairchilds, of New Castle, Ind., were just one of a growing number of fire and
accident victims across the country who are being billed for fire department services once funded solely
through taxpayer money.

Already banned in several states, the practice of charging to respond to house fires and car accidents --
dubbed a "crash tax" or an "accident tax" -- has horrified victims and earned the ire of insurance lobbyists
who say their member companies are being targeted to make up for budget shortfalls.

Fire Department Bills for Basic Services Horrify Residents, Insurance Companies - ABC News

Another example of the government's "creativity" on
how to pick your pockets to balance their bloated budgets.

N

N_Jay

What a load of crap. (I really hate poorly written, poorly researched "news" articles)

People want near perfect fire protection but are unwilling to pay the taxes required to cover it.

Other than rescue services, the real beneficiaries of good fire service is the insurance companies. Why should they not pay for fire service as part of a claim?

And then, that stupid "Volunteer" line shows real lack of thought, as if the fee was just for labor and the rest of the fire department support is free.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Why should they not pay for fire service as part of a claim?"
Because they're in business to make money by collecting premium fees and not lose money by paying claims?

"...the real beneficiaries of good fire service is the insurance companies."
Only when they don't have to pay for it.

They're in business to make money, or do you think they're the spendthrift government in debt up to its eyeballs?

mikepdx

People want near perfect fire protection but are unwilling
to pay the taxes required to cover it.
People want a frugal, no frills, functional fire department.
They're not unwilling to pay the taxes required to support that.

It's a solid-gold fire department that they're unwilling to support.

By the way, I'm not picking on our fire departments.
The above would apply to ANY and ALL government agencies.

N

N_Jay

People want a frugal, no frills, functional fire department.
They're not unwilling to pay the taxes required to support that.
I believe you would never get agreement on the definition of the" frugal, no frills, functional fire department" you imagine.

It's a solid-gold fire department that they're unwilling to support.
It seems in most areas, fire departments are far from "solid Gold" and are still rarely well enough funded.

By the way, I'm not picking on our fire departments.
The above would apply to ANY and ALL government agencies.
Yes, most all people want an unrealistic level of government services from a frugal, no frills government, which never intrudes on their freedom, but is always there to address their desires (even if those desires intrude on others freedoms.)

mobile1

Just another TAX to pay.

From a news letter I got with my tax assessment notice dated May 19 2009. Fire call charges have gone up again this year. They will now be $600.00 per hour for the first hour and $200.00 for each additional hour. Billed to the property owner regardless of circumstances. If not paid will be added to you property taxes. Home owners insurance will cover this cost. They used to bill the person that called the fire department and this made it so no one would call. A fire in a rural area burned on a section of land for more than a week because no one wanted to get the bill for the call out. The property owner would not even call it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.