Fire, EMS & LE 'stat' codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twotoejoe

Some of the Fire & EMS and Law Enforcement agencies in my area are now using 'stat' codes instead of the normal 10 codes. 'Stat 3', 'Stat 10', etc. Anyone have or know of a listing for these codes? I first thought it was just our county using these, but I was a couple counties over today and they were using them too.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
just a SWAG...'stat' means immediately in the medical field. maybe code for how urgent the response is??

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Some of the Fire & EMS and Law Enforcement agencies in my area are now using 'stat' codes instead of the normal 10 codes. 'Stat 3', 'Stat 10', etc. Anyone have or know of a listing for these codes? I first thought it was just our county using these, but I was a couple counties over today and they were using them too.
See this webpage. No idea if your area is using this actual list, or a modified one.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
And all this goes to show why the use of codes is frowned upon. Local folks get so used to something and when the "big one" happens which involves mutual aid from everywhere, confusion could be a problem.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. NIMS [National Incident Management System] pushes plain English, with exceptions for easily accepted and universally understood ten codes such as 10-4, 10-8, etc.

In the years I was in the business, I went through four sets of radio codes and it was maddening.

K4EET

Chaplain
I suspect the "Stat Codes" that you are referring to are Status Messages sent by an 8 button or 16 button add-on fixture to the main Control Head for the radio. Each button when depressed sends a short message back to the Control Center that might indicate:
  1. In Service, In Quarters
  2. En-Route
  3. Arrived On-Scene
  4. En-Route to Hospital
  5. Arrived at Hospital
  6. etc...
  7. etc...
  8. etc...
  9. etc...
  10. etc...
  11. etc...
  12. etc...
  13. etc...
  14. Out of Service, Restocking Supplies
  15. Out of Service, Fueling
  16. Out of Service
I tried to make this equipment generic as much as is possible. If the subsystem that handles these codes fails, then the driver of the vehicle would have to verbally call out "Radio, EMS Unit 14, Stat 3" which takes less air time than saying "Radio, this is EMS Unit 14, we have arrived at the incident location."

Of course, this is just another possibility of what you are hearing at your local jurisdiction.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
And all this goes to show why the use of codes is frowned upon. Local folks get so used to something and when the "big one" happens which involves mutual aid from everywhere, confusion could be a problem.

100% agree. our center always pushed plain english (other than 10-4). we did have a series of signal codes (1-11) for certain activities.

twotoejoe

Thanks for all of your replies. Most referred to Fire & EMS, but our Law Enforcement uses these more than Fire & EMS. One that I have decoded is that 'Stat 20' refers to a Covid residence.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
A lot of places, "Stat 7" is a citation, "Stat 8" is a warning. Od course, Code 7 and Code 8 is the same way, YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.