Fire freqs? State?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctrmass

I'm in Manchester twp.
There are a lot of time they have controlled burns in one of the state forests that pretty much surround me.
Is there a frequency(s) out there I can monitor state forestry I guess?
How about more local. Does anyone have info on fire freqs?
I have 508.187500 nfm, that's Ocean county fire dispatch, but what about the radios they carry?
Are they on the same freq?
I know they have Moto minitor VI pagers, and they're somewhere ij the 476-520 mhz range (I saw the programming software) :D

All I have as a scanner is an old Pro-2004, will this even receive these guys?
Thanks.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Manchester twp.
There are a lot of time they have controlled burns in one of the state forests that pretty much surround me.
How about more local. Does anyone have info on fire freqs?
I have 508.187500 nfm, that's Ocean county fire dispatch...

Thanks.

One of my favorite radios but your 2004 won't hear these; You'll need a trunking scanner:

NJSP trunk system New Jersey State Police Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Manchester: Manchester Township Trunking System, Manchester Township, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies

Ocean County Trunking System, Ocean County, New Jersey - Scanner Frequencies

Joseph11

You can monitor the New Jersey Forest Fire Service on your PRO-2004 just fine. They're actually in the VHF high frequency range — information here. You'll primarily be interested in channels 6, 8, and 10. You'll also want to monitor the South Jersey Fire-Net on 154.265.

Analogrules

True Joseph. I believe those VHF frequencies are still used especially since digital radios may have many dead spots in the thick of the forest areas. Digital radio companies will keep trying to push their radios on to these agencies, but analog radios and even simplex can work better on the scene for local on scene ops.

Analogrules

Furthermore, I would also ask yourself if a $400 digital phase 2 radio is worth buying if you still wouldn't be able to monitor Manchester PD, since they are encrypted.

elias1988

Feed Provider
If he wants to monitor fire in the future he will need a Phase II capable scanner. Topic here is about fire not police.

Last edited:

Analogrules

Yeah, but I would be surprised if Ocean County didn't leave a few analog frequencies in their radios just in case digital breaks up in certain areas, such as in thick dense forests like the Pine Barons.

elias1988

Feed Provider
It will be a slow process from what I was told,just like when everyone switched from low band to the current 500 MHz system. Each town has to secure funding to purchase new radios.

Joseph11

True Joseph. I believe those VHF frequencies are still used especially since digital radios may have many dead spots in the thick of the forest areas. Digital radio companies will keep trying to push their radios on to these agencies, but analog radios and even simplex can work better on the scene for local on scene ops.

I don't believe the NJFFS even has digital radios currently. I hear them a lot on channels 6 and 8 locally. The rest of the NJDEP has either trunked radios for the NJSP TRS and NJICS radios, though. Analog will always be the best for fireground.

Tech792

I don't believe the NJFFS even has digital radios currently. I hear them a lot on channels 6 and 8 locally. The rest of the NJDEP has either trunked radios for the NJSP TRS and NJICS radios, though. Analog will always be the best for fireground.

We just had a meeting a few days ago and this was briefly discussed. Right from the state fire warden's mouth. "There is no plan for NJ Forest Fire to switch to the 700 or 800 band. We're staying on VHF"

cash082

Premium Subscriber
VHF does well for the NJFFS, why change it if it isn't broke...they all can talk and it's a damn ton of freaking radios with their channels in it! It's also interopable so lots of towns can talk directly to the NJFFS etc if need be for a forest fire. I'm glad!

npd155

How powerful are the vhf repeaters. I'm in somerset / hunterdon. Will I be able to hear them lets say on ch 7A clear?

Tech792

Ch 7A is not repeated. 7A is a simplex tactical. Ch 7 and ch 7 south is repeated. You should hear both repeaters fine. Ch 7 south is closest to you.

scannersnstuff

If someone is interested in a digital scanner purchase, and don't need all the bell's and whistle's and price of the bcd436hp, grab a bcd325p2. It is more than capable, and easy to program. They can be had,now for about $360.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.