Fire in Millrise

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrVelvet

Things are looking and sounding a lot better now - great fight by the crews to keep the entire complex for going up.

omrail

From what I see the fire wall stopped the fire. Now why is there not more fire Walls in big places like this? Good fight by CFD from what I see online.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
My scanner was DEAF all day today while I was out driving around (west of the city). Not sure if it's busted or what. I wasn't at work, obviously.

Fire Command is now requesting HAWC1 to put a Firefighter in to get an aerial survey of the scene.

Maybe someone should have given Command the URL to Global. :D

Good save! Reminds me of a very similar job downtown in 2002.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Hey Mr.Velvet wasn't Engines: 14 and 30 called out???? and also wasn't Tender 24 called for extra man power???
,Thanks

MrVelvet

No.

14 was out on a call and I guess they picked 11 instead of 30 for some reason. (30 was available at the time)

24 Tender was not called out.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Mr.Velvet, Is there no aerial in 14 anymore or was it on a call with Engine 14 to?

,Thanks

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Well thank you for the information Mr.Velvet
It seems CFD is going to have on-going aerial problems until they get there new trucks in 2011 some time

MrVelvet

What didn't make sense to me as a non-firefighter was why E11 was sitting around and not setup as an aerial in the courtyard area.

They go out of their way to lease/buy quints, but when the time comes they don't use them.

ENGINE_4

Premium Subscriber
Wasn't Engine 11 using a spare pumper at the fire???
What kind of surprised me was that they didn't call apparatus like #24 Tender, another rescue or even a hazmat unit for extra man power on scene.
Another thing that got me was they didn't send another Tower ladder like #25, or #12. But that's just me...

MrVelvet

11 was the new quint. 24 had an older spare.

They had 5 aerials on scene, but 4 were old yellows and then the Bronto from 16. They all did a great job and I'm speculating that having another large aerial just wouldn't have made sense with the amount of lines on the ground. I don't know what the fifth aerial on scene was that was on the east side - the 3 on the west side were 1,2 and 19 with 16 on the north-east corner.

I'm sure the reason for no Tender 24 was a second or third alarm does not include a Tender. It was so hectic and a call for additional manpower as specific as that wouldn't have made sense.

Crews from Haz Tec were on scene, but simply for air monitoring purposes.

Heard on the news last night that fire command actually did use the live feed from Global 1, so I guess they heard you Jay.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Video feed from aerial bucket

Just wondering why there wasn't a video feed from one of the aerial buckets being used? Or was there?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Video or still capabilities on a fire apparatus' stick is a rare item. Some trucks have dash cameras (including my department's rescue and primary engine) but only really exotic machines have cameras on aerial booms and such. I've seen it on airport fire trucks that have a "Snozzle" articulating boom, and it's a combination standard video/infrared camera, and it costs more than a couple bucks. It has to be in a hardened, protective housing, because the heat up there tends to be a little more than on the ground. ;)

I've been on a number of scenes of large incidents where a "big picture" view is desired, and without exception, the chosen method of getting this view has been helicopters. Often a fire officer (chief level) will go up in the machine to do this reconnaissance, but sometimes video-equipped aircraft will transmit their feeds to the command post.

Status
Not open for further replies.