fire lookouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasbillman1

Feed Provider
any scanner feed have fire lookout towers reporting fires? If so what feed and name of the lookout. Thanks Thomas

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
So you're just looking for streaming of forest fire fighter observation towers? You don't have a location on your profile.

Look up the state of New Jersey, they have several chattels that they are streaming of the New Jersey Forest fire fighter service. They are on VHF High repeaters.

I listen to them on my radio. They report daily weather, and respond to fires along with the local fire departments in forestry areas. They are under the auspices of the Department of Environmental Protection. Quite a lot of information and Maps if you look up the New Jersey Forest firefighter service.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
So you're just looking for streaming of forest fire fighter observation towers? You don't have a location on your profile.

Look up the state of New Jersey, they have several chattels that they are streaming of the New Jersey Forest fire fighter service. They are on VHF High repeaters.

I listen to them on my radio. They report daily weather, and respond to fires along with the local fire departments in forestry areas. They are under the auspices of the Department of Environmental Protection. Quite a lot of information and Maps if you look up the New Jersey Forest firefighter service.

This is the Australia Forum so I assume that's where they are!
The OPs post history shows they post in several state forums as well so who knows their real location. They did ask this same question back in 2018 and in the Australia forum again.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Oh okay, I see that now, I was just looking at recent activity, thanks.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
- this video from 2017 states that NSW State Forestry operates over 100 forest fire lookout towers - the fire lookout towers cover all areas of NSW (including Natl Parks and rural lands) not just the State Forests - RRDB shows State Forestry on 70 Mhz - lookout shown talking on radio and lining up fire with rope hanging from ceiling (??)

"NSW State Forestry" is 1 of 4 wildfire fighting organizations in NSW - the other 3 might be - FRNSW + NSW Rural Fire + National Parks

NSW State Forestry has fire control responsibility on 2 million hectares of State Forests - they hire 100 seasonal firefighters annually (probably to support their fulltime firefighters) - NSW State Forestry fire vehicles are white with green lettering

thecamel

Depends in the Forrest the tower is in.. However as rule
They will have the local Gov fire radios
However as a lot of forrest are private owned, they will have there own network also that most of the talk is done on

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
A couple of contacts work in fire towers.

Another story here:

Bendigo's eye in the sky during bushfire season

Even UHD cameras don't quite cut it, trying to pick the nuance between types of smoke or dust, determining location distance away, picking out small topographical features etc. and the problem of sunrise/sunset rendering cameras unusable for a period, when a human at a site can deal with that in various ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.