Fire on board USS Bonhomme Richard docked at naval base San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alain

Does San Diego Fire and Rescue or the Port District have fire boats? Is anyone listening to the SDF&R TG's currently? Is the Port District involved to any degree?

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Alain - from what I could see - the Port District police had small fire boats at the scene initially - then the Navy brought in 3 or 4 of their large tugs to spray water on the fire

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Now that SDFD has bailed, and handed over everythign to the Navy, I don;'t know what system/frequencies this ship fire is being worked on. Not hearing anythign on the Navy DoD UHF system on the Federal Fire Commands or Tacs. Anyone know what this might be working on? I am basically line of sight of the ship, so if they are on simplex I should be able to receive the comms.

Paul

jmarshl

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday Harbor PD fire boats were on HPD Dispatch 1 while working the fire. When the tugs came in, they were reportedly on VHF maritime 77. This morning it sounded like the helicopters were coordinating water drops on VHF maritime 16.

Last edited:

JoeyC

Operations, for whatever reason, seem to have moved from Federal Tac 2 (24026) to Federal Tac 1 (24025), at this time. Not sure why the switch. Just had confirmation of those channel designations on both talkgroups. I guess that makes 24027 Tac 3. (which I mentioned earlier as having traffic) Having listened a good part of the day, I heard almost nothing on Tac 3 except for the brief conversation this morning when I noted it in this thread.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I will make the submission, but what Federal Fire Tacs were you referring to in post #6 above that were silent?

I mispoke, meant I had all the listed talkgroups in and was receiving nothing.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
They advised they are switching to a conventional simplex frequency...I don't even know where to begin searchignfor that...380-430 range search while looking at the ship isn't getting any hits other than 14C repeaters.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
They called the new fire this morning a "secondary class A fire on deck B". I was never able to figure out what freq they were using, didn't have a chance to scan VHF, but would assume tney would use at minimum UHF for ship ointerior operations?

Paul

SHIP FIRE FRIDAY.jpg

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
What could possibly burn like that on an steel ship? What does it use for fuel?

Trust me, there's LOTS of stuff that burns on a steel ship, if the conditions are right. In fact, the steel is about all that won't burn. Maybe copper in electrical wiring too.

Status
Not open for further replies.