Fire Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Why is it at times i don't hear much convo between firefigters? All i hear is between command and dispatch and the trucks? Is this something to do with status bit not being set correctly or are their portables that weak we can't hear them unless at the fire?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Probably because many departments have simplex fireground channels, and unless you're close, you won't be able to hear them.

smnjhull

Between Command & Sector Captain

Additionally, there isn't usually THAT MUCH talk between FF's. Most communication on the firegorund goes between the Command Officer (Overall fire ground commander) and the Sector Captains (the people in charge of a certain crew in a certain place at a fire scene). This is so that the Command Officer (Platoon Chief, District Chief) sees the big picture and knows where, why and what everyone (within reason) is doing or supposed to be doing!

wyldman

They don't chat all that much.They are usually too busy fighting the fire.

If they do decide to use a talkaround group,they will usually announce it,so you will know.They only tend to use it if they are in a weak signal area.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Actually I don't see any talk around or simplex channels on the peel system. Maybe some investigating with close call during a fire is in need unless someone knows of any?.
Take care

wyldman

I've only heard them ever talk about using talkaround once or twice,and I was never nearby.Not quite sure how that setup works.

Next time I'm by the station,I will have to inquire about it.

ve9fc

sometime on a Fire Ground it's ezer to yell then Use a radio, most time FF them selves don't have Radio just the Officers and Chiefs

hemi

Peterborough city fire department hasradio in their masks. Sometimes it good listening, but most of the time its muffled and garbled. As for my local fire, if it is a bigger fire sectors check in with updates every 10 minutes or so. Mostly its tankers coming and going to the water source.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Brampton and Mississauga both have it in the masks as well. I will do some investagating with the close call feature. will post results. I thought they would be on a status bit channel ( channel ID+3) or something like that... will investagate further...

KevMuskoka

Brian,

I echo the other comments, not too much conversation is done between firefighters. Usually the commander tells a crew what to do, and they go do it - not necessarily over the radio.

In Vaughan, mostly everyone carries a radio - but it's rarely used by anyone but the captain. Everyone else listens.

But it is true that some departments switch to a simplex/talkaround channel when they get on scene - I know one department up here (in Muskoka) that does it religiously. Another department is looking at doing it because some areas aren't hitting their repeater and it's just easier to use a simplex channel (using the same main frequencies, just not going through the repeater). However, others have issues with not having everything recorded by dispatch (if applicable).

Kevin P.

EFD118

In my area when we are using simplex it goes through a critter(repeater) located in the rescue truck. This retransmits on the tac channel which is recorded at dispatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.