Fire Service In Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have been spending some time lately listening to the various fire departments in Dakota County. I started out by wanting to just log the various Fire Tone Out frequencies, but then I realized that it really pointed out how busy some departments near me are and what they respond to.

Clearly, the Burnsville Fire Department and South Metro Fire Departments are the busiest in Dakota County. Both respond to a lot of medical calls. They do differ a lot, however, in that Burnsville Fire has all of Burnsville as it EMS Primary Service Area.

South Metro Fire, which serves the cities of South Saint Paul and West Saint Paul, has M Health Fairview, formerly known as Health East, as the ALS provider in their area. South Metro Fire does have three ambulances, but M Health Fairview is the ALS provider in their area.

Hastings Fire seems to be the next busiest in terms of tone outs. They provide both ALS and BLS services with their ambulances.

I am finding that I am actually more interested in the actual fire calls. Focusing on just those can be a bit of a challenge, however, because there are so many medical calls. I have been focusing on the fire departments closest to where I live. Those are Apple Valley, Eagan, Hastings, Inver Grove Heights, Lakeville and Rosemount.

I have a Uniden SDS100. It does have the Fire Tone-Out feature. I have programmed all 32 of the Fire Tone-Out memories with the Tone A and Tone B for the above fire departments. The Uniden SDS100 also has a built in recording feature. I have been using that a bit to listen to calls missed when I am away.

Dakota County does simulcast the fire calls on an ARMER talkgroup. I decided quite some time back to not include that in my day-to-day scan list, however.

It seems as if more fire departments are using a Duty Crew Program to staff some of their stations during critical times.

For those that are more knowledgeable than I am regarding fire service paging/tone-outs, do you find that most use an All Call page for everything or are more paging specific stations? From what I have heard so far, my fire department seems to use All Call for almost all fire and medical calls. There are two fire stations, but usually I hear the All Call page for most calls. I have also heard a Fire Officer page, but it is far less common.

I should also add that if you are depending on the information here to determine your Fire Tone-Out frequencies, I would encourage you to do your own research. The information here is incomplete. I am not writing that as a criticism, but it is just the reality of the situation.

johnmoe1

From what I have heard so far, my fire department seems to use All Call for almost all fire and medical calls. There are two fire stations, but usually I hear the All Call page for most calls. I have also heard a Fire Officer page, but it is far less common.

Yeah it seems to vary a lot by city. Almost everything in Rosemount is an all call. I don't think I have ever heard a Farmington all call.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I can see varying from one department to the next depending on what they respond to, staffing resources and so on. That happens in my community as well as many other areas I've visited.

You may have a one station department that is staffed full time. If their duty crew goes out on a med call, they may do an all call, just to get enough folks back to deal with a fire that happens while the med call is on-going.

Fire Officer things could be for incidents like water leaks, carbon monoxide alarms, etc. - things that may need some attention but not some big red truck with 4 people. Especially when a carbon monoxide is going off on the west side of town and there is a structure fire with rescue on the east side of town.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
eDispatches - Don't ever miss a call - from this website I can see that Meeker County MN did 6 different 'all calls' at 533 this evening. Probably was the evening radio test. If you play around at this website you might get a glimpse of some of the paging in Dakota County. Maybe not.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I monitor primarily Washington and Ramsey county and they tend to vary what they do by department. Some have one pair of tone out frequencies and some have multiple for various reasons.

I use a program called two tone detect programmed for Washington and Ramsey county fire toneouts which records and sends me a text of the recording for the tone outs that I assign to it. I have it limited to all calls for departments that have multiple so I dont get every medical. There is also a version of the program called two tone decode that will decode the tones and record them which is handy for finding the tones for a department. That's how I tracked down the ones for Ramsey and Washington.

fwfdengine2

Premium Subscriber
The way it works for the 23 depts dispatched by Hennepin:

All Call = Entire Dept, larger cities this is for big events only. Smaller towns this could be the only tones they have.

Duty Crew = used for staffed depts. for small or medium scale incidents.

Duty Officer = used to notify duty or battalion chief of incidents. Usually this is medium scale incidents such as car accidents, car fires, etc. some depts (Hopkins, excelsior, wayzata) use the duty officer tones for things like elevators stuck and CO. that they don’t want an all call for during non-duty crew times.

Stations = incident that doesn’t require an all call but/or duty crew is busy / not staffed.

HFIRE ALL = single tone that activates every pager associated with the 23 department. It is grouped with a DTMF and the Rockford fire all call (they must not have newer pagers that can handle two tone sets?)

my COVID project was to update this wiki page. All of the tones have been updated/confirmed except Saint Louis Park. And I can confirm that this is every single tone Hennepin has on their consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.