Fire Tone Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlowery4

Feed Provider
I am looking for the tone frequencies for Fire Tone Outs in Marion County. I am trying to setup Two Tone Detect. I have downloaded recordings from the archives of my feed and tried several programs to determine the tone freq but the frequency keeps jumping around so I can't tell what they might be. If anyone has these or can direct me in the direction to get them it would be much appreciated

Thanks
Robert

dgoodson

Feed Provider
You can download and try Audacity software (free) to analyze your audio files. You can set it up to display a "spectrum output" that will show you the dominant frequency in the tones. You might need to play around with the program a bit to get comfortable using it and its features, but its quite good. One trick you can trim the unwanted part of the file... you can also copy and paste the tone transmission on to itself to in effect lengthen the transmission. For example, if you have a one second tone burst, you can copy a good solid sample of that tone and then paste it over and over again onto itself and create a tone of the same trequency that is as long as you like... certainly log enough for a program like Audacity to settle in and give you a steady output.

Also, you may find the tones are "off" a bit... and do not exactly line up with standard tone frequencies. Once you get an idea what the tones are, Two Tone detect will let you specify a tolerance, so you can "loosen up" the detect slider to get the its.

Last edited:

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
I can tell you that Marion County uses standard Motorola QuickCall II tones, like the ones shown in this list. Software such as Audacity should get you close enough to determine the correct frequency.

rlowery4

Feed Provider
Thanks for the replies. I have downloaded Adobe Audition and I am recording the transmissions already found 4 tone. it's a slow process but effective. And looking at the quick call II tones Avery 93 Suggested, it has been right on the money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.