Fire Tone out help for BCD996xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I just purchased a new Uniden BCD996Xt scanner, and im a little confused about how the tone detection works. I have a tone programed for both local fire and ems. Do i need to be in the tone standby mode for detection and alerts, or will they be detected during normal scanning? I want it so while i am scanning, if a tone is heard it will play the alert sound and flash the screen, but not sure if this can be done.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased a new Uniden BCD996Xt scanner, and im a little confused about how the tone detection works. I have a tone programed for both local fire and ems. Do i need to be in the tone standby mode for detection and alerts, or will they be detected during normal scanning? I want it so while i am scanning, if a tone is heard it will play the alert sound and flash the screen, but not sure if this can be done.

I made a video on the 436hp but same settings on the 996xt. If you don't have the tones A&B you need to be in search mode. It will only scan 1 freq at once. If your FD and EMS have 2 different freq's you need to do one at a time to get the tones.

Uniden BCD436HP Tone Out - YouTube

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I already have the tones programed, I just want it to play a tone while on normal scan mode when a programed tone out is detected

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I already have the tones programed, I just want it to play a tone while on normal scan mode when a programed tone out is detected

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

All you need is to in standby and it will set off to the tones that are scanning.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
Also, how does AGC work, i have it set at the system level for all my conventional and digital channels, yet channels are still coming in at different volumes.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Also, how does AGC work, i have it set at the system level for all my conventional and digital channels, yet channels are still coming in at different volumes.

I have that problem on Digital system here I use the volume setting -/+ to lower or higher for each talkgroup

Last edited:

Salvation

Thats one thing I don't understand.. Why don't scanner companies put multiple receivers in a single scanner to deal with services on the scanner outside of scanning like Priorities, Tone Outs, or WX Alerts? I had seen the other day the ICom IC-R20 has a Dualwatch receive where it can monitor two separate frequencies and actually play both over the speaker and you can adjust the volume on each. Would love to see a standard scanner receiver, receiver for Tone Outs and one for WX Alerts in one machine. Right now I have my 536 setup in tone-out standby most of the time and the pro-197 doing regular scanning.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thats one thing I don't understand.. Why don't scanner companies put multiple receivers in a single scanner to deal with services on the scanner outside of scanning like Priorities, Tone Outs, or WX Alerts? I had seen the other day the ICom IC-R20 has a Dualwatch receive where it can monitor two separate frequencies and actually play both over the speaker and you can adjust the volume on each. Would love to see a standard scanner receiver, receiver for Tone Outs and one for WX Alerts in one machine. Right now I have my 536 setup in tone-out standby most of the time and the pro-197 doing regular scanning.

Have you noticed the amount of complaining people do about a $500 scanner? It would cost a lot more, to do what you say, and have a very limited audience. (Look at the sales for AOR, compared to Uniden or GRE.)

Sent via Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
In addition to driving up the scanner cost, I'm sure it two receiver scanners would also be a little more complicated for users.

If I wanted a receiver to dedicate to fire tone-outs along with weather alerting, I'd be tempted to see about a Motorola Minitor V or VI pager. It's a little less costly.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
I think what he's talking about is having one unit capable of doing what several different radios do. Right now for example in the car I have my scanner, carry pager, and have a weather radio. I have often thought it would be nice as well if my scanner would alert me for a call and/or alert me for severe weather and scan the radio frequencies. As it stands right now I believe it will do any one of them, but not all of them at the same time.

The technology for the alert for the weather radio and pager is basically the same...scan a certain frequency for a tone or tone set, then set off an alert and open up for a period of time for the message. These radios can be purchased for what $30.

I wouldn't know why it would be that hard to do something like this and it shouldn't cost a bunch more to include and certainly shouldn't add $400 to the cost of the scanner. This is old school technology.

As it is, we have a new scanner that is out where Uniden has not fulfilled its marketing promises. We have a WiFi dongle that is useless; a promised Siren app that may or may not materialize, but certainly was a pipe dream when marketed; and finally, a scanner that becomes completely useless when the SD card becomes corrupted for some unknown reason.

I'm thinking...putting a couple of really basic, programmable receivers in the scanner to work for the weather alert and/or fire tone out would be a simple task as compared to what has been attempted in the 536 and not accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.