Fire Tone Outs-General Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Question about Fire Tone Outs, does this mean the scanner squelch only opens up when the tones for a particular station are transmitted (like a pager)?
The scanner is always quiet otherwise? Would this mean that the scanner would have to remain "parked" on the one frequency while monitoring for the tones?
Can multiple stations be set-up to open the squelch? (I live central to 3 stations)
Sorry if this has already been covered.
Thanx

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Thanx Rdale, I'm pleasantly surprised that I can have one activate for multiple stations.
I'm assuming that this is a feature that a particular scanner "either has or it doesn't" and if it has it it can do multiples?
Is there a limit to the number of tones that they will activate for (in the specs somewhere)?
I've got an 898, does anyone know if that has the feature (I don't have the manual with me but even if I did it is woeful).
Thanx all.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
One slight caution bwhite-

There are different tone formats of protocols used by fire departments. It isn't universal. So if you're motivated to go out and spend money on a radio with this wonderful feature, you might check around to see if it would be compatible with your department.

The radios do work with Motorola "Quick Call" protocol which is widely used. That protocol sends one single frequency tone for 1 second, followed by a second (different) single frequency tone for 3 seconds.

Also, unless something has recently changed, the radio can only detect off conventional frequency systems, not off a Talkgroup of a trunked system.

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
898T does not have it. Trunked systems don't have pagers, so that wouldn't be an issue either. It can also do a long single tone.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Although I have an 898 we page via conventional so that's what it would be parked on, sounds like it doesn't have this though.
Would the "tone formats of protocols" mentioned be published in the database ?
(I think I've seen threads where writers have asked for this but cannot recall the response).
Thanx

dgoodson

Feed Provider
I think, strictly speaking, that when tone-out data is posted in the data base, it is done without regard to what specific protocol it is...

HOWEVER- as a practical matter I think you can assume that if data IS posted in the data base, it is because it IS of a compatible format with available radios and the system in use. That is to say, people would not routinely / intentionally post data that was of no value.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Thanx. I'm just trying to figure out what we use (via the database if possible) so that I can ensure that any purchase will accommodate my needs.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
bwhite

If you have a recording of your tone I can get the format for you. I'm working on another county near me but signal stinks on it. If its a single long tone that would be Tone B Tone A should be 0.0 Tone B 433.7 etc.. If you have a recording of tones make sure we have talking on it so I know what station it is later.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Do you need the tone(s) for specific firehouses or just the tones for any firehouse so that you can hear what it sounds like ?
(Some of them aren't very busy).
Thanx

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
In order to activate the scanner when a tone or tones are sent out.....
Does the scanner need reeds or what is used to sensitize the radio to the various tone-sets?
Thanx

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
It does not use reeds, it just looks for tones the same way the software on your PC does.

Status
Not open for further replies.