Fire Tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevie

Fire/AreaC/Verdugo/Arcadia/Signaling

Over the UHF radio system:

Battalion 105: 669.9/510.5 (Motorola 1+1)
Station 105 85105 (5/6 Tone)
Station 106 85106 (5/6 Tone)
Station 107 85107 (5/6 Tone)

Stevie

That Department only has three stations, and only gets toned out over the UHF system using the above tones. Individual apparatus doesn't have tones, only the stations and the Battalion Chief.

brandon

Database Admin
How do you obtain the tones? Is there some software that will do it. The link at the Uniden forum is DEAD.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It's easiest if you record the tones going out over the air and play them back as a .wav file into a sound editor. I understand CoolEdit is freeware and/or shareware and available for download in many places. If you play back the file in one of these such programs, there is an option which will show you the frequency of the sound being played back. You should be able to match the values you get from that with the exact values provided from, for example, the charts on Batwing Laboratories (I'm sure the link is in the FTO sticky).

Stevie

The BC's tones are two-tone, and the stations are 5/6 tone. I use an iMac with Sound Studio from Freeverse software. Using the output from the Bearcat 996, I'm able to get high-fidelity audio, select the audio I want, and it decodes the tones down to the 30 ms. length of the 5/6 tones. Using the tone table from Midian Electronics, I translate that into somthing a little more palatable.

RobertW1

Am I to believe that somehow knowing the paging code will allow me to only hear dispatches from Verdugo Fire for the Agencies I wish to hear dispatched? With Verdugo Fire dispatching for so many Agencies now, RED 1 gets a little crowded. I only am interested in Burbank Dispatches, not Pasadena, Arcadia, Alhambra, etc.

On the scanner you generally only hear three beeps and then the dispatch. You only hear those other tones when there is a large fire or callup or they are paging a BC.

I don't believe a scanner is able to pick and choose dispatches. Am I correct in this?

Stevie

You are correct for the most part. For ordinary dispatches, the data is sent over the data system, then you hear the three tones, then the dispatch. For some dispatches when the data system isn't working they will send out tones over the voice radio (5/6 tone), then the three tones and the dispatch. For any call requiring the BC, they send the BC's tone, then the three tone alert, then the dispatch.

For normal day-to-day operation, you can't differentiate between stations being toned out.

landonjensen

Stevie said:
You are correct for the most part. For ordinary dispatches, the data is sent over the data system, then you hear the three tones, then the dispatch. For some dispatches when the data system isn't working they will send out tones over the voice radio (5/6 tone), then the three tones and the dispatch. For any call requiring the BC, they send the BC's tone, then the three tone alert, then the dispatch.

For normal day-to-day operation, you can't differentiate between stations being toned out.

what is the timing for each tone?

icis_monitor

Traditionally, taking the LA County model, dispatching and communications to dispatch are done on UHF, with on-scene communications occurring on VHF. In the Verdugo system, most of the Green (VHF) channels came in with Departments as they came onto the UHF system. Most, if not all, of the apparatus have a VHF mobile and portable, but there is not one for each member, so the LA County model doesn't work here.

Mostly, it isn't used at all, and held in reserve. All Departments have to keep VHF for State mutual aid communications, so they might as well keep the VHF stuff for themselves.

As for FireGround 153.8300, that is one of Long Beach's tactical channels.

landonjensen

Could anyone give me a list of all the fire depts tones that verdugo dispatchs, maybe Stevie could you? Im trying to program another radio of mine to scan all the battalions tones, but am intrested if anyone has monrovia fire depts tones.
Thanks

kenjicam

I hope this helps
Here's what I have for Verdugo.

These are definetly confirmed:
BC 1 553.9/584.8
BC 2 553.9/617.4
BC 3 553.9/651.9
BC 8 553.9/903.0
BC 9 533.9/767.4

These are unconfirmed:
BC 5 553.9/762.8
BC 6 553.9/767.4
BC 7 553.9/810.2
BC 10 584.8/553.9

I haven't had the time to confirm the unconfirmed tones ( since Verdugos' use of the two-tone/voice pager system may be coming to an end in the near future :-( ). I could be really wrong with the unconfirmed tones so please let me know. If anyone has found something differant please let me know.

Kenji Luster

landonjensen

Is a HT750 capable of the tones that he stated above?
Fire/AreaC/Verdugo/Arcadia/Signaling

Over the UHF radio system:

Battalion 105: 669.9/510.5 (Motorola 1+1)
Station 105 85105 (5/6 Tone)
Station 106 85106 (5/6 Tone)
Station 107 85107 (5/6 Tone)

pfish

Premium Subscriber
That depends, some HT750's are capable of Quik Call II, and some are not.

The one I have is not.

P-3_Radio_Guy

Hi all,

You may be interested in downloading this chart. It's a compendium of a lot of signalling plans.

<http://www.midians.com/pdf/tone_signaling.pdf>

If possible promulgate this to other forums.

Ed T

Status
Not open for further replies.