Firefighter arrested by CHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
CBS News 8 cameras were rolling around 9:00 p.m. Tuesday when the two got into a dispute over where the fire engine should park while firefighters were responding to the crash that happened north on I-805 between Telegraph Canyon Road and East Orange Avenue.

According to officials, the officer told firefighters to move three fire engines from the fast lane, and two complied, but one firefighter refused that request and continued giving aid to the crash victims.
Officials: Dispute between CHP officer, firefighter an 'isolated - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

So who's at fault here?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Premium Subscriber
With 40 years in public safety, having worked on both sides of the fence, I have seen a few of these incidents over the years. As a law enforcement officer at a crash scene, when fire/EMS arrived I just let them do their thing, unless the situation was an immediate threat to life or property. If some motorists have to sit in traffic for a while, so be it, as patient care and personnel safety is my priority here.

If I had a problem I would speak to the fire/EMS chief/officer in charge and ask what they thought about a situation before I would order or threaten any member of service, just out of respect.

I have seen some officers react this way because the are thinking from a "directing traffic" standpoint instead of patient care, and probably never had any fire/EMS experience. This can be avoided with a little cross-training or orientation.

In the case here I think this CHP officer didn't like the fact that his "orders" were not followed and had a macho reaction.

I also recall an incident as an EMT dispatched on an MVA where the vehicle was ready to tip over with 1 occupant inside. When I called for a rescue truck to stabilize the vehicle it was refused because the officer "didn't want any more equipment crowding his scene." We had to remove the victim while physically stabilizing the vehicle by hand. This was back in the days before an engine or rescue were regularly dispatched on auto accidents.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.