Firefighters face federal mandate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thayne

If they didn't know about that, their faces must have been buried in the sand--:p

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
"If you don't narrowband, your radio won't work."

Really?

OCO

The total cost of the change will be about $3,000, close to half of the fire department's total annual budget
A total annual budget for a FD of $6000 ? I don't even know which question to ask first;)...

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
A total annual budget for a FD of $6000 ? I don't even know which question to ask first;)...

A friend of mine is chief of a volunteer department that operates on $6000 annually, $3000 of which goes to insurance. They get little support from the locality, and often pay for fuel out of their pockets.

Anon6083

Premium Subscriber
Is there some kind of federal resource these departments can appeal to - maybe for a general grant available to public safety entities - to help them comply with this? God knows county governments won't spring for any sort of VFD expenses.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Is there some kind of federal resource these departments can appeal to - maybe for a general grant available to public safety entities - to help them comply with this?
The Assistance To Firefighters Grants (AFG) is one avenue that they could look into.

God knows county governments won't spring for any sort of VFD expenses.
It just depends on what area you live in. It's not at all unusual in the region in which I live. In fact, in the county in which I live, the county purchases the fire engines, firehouses, turnout gear, fuel, and insurance for the volunteers.

IndyRick

There are resources available, however, finding a qualified grant writer can be a real challenge, especially in small communities. And if you have to HIRE a grant writer, it's often cost prohibitive for a smaller department. Budgets of less than 10K per year are pretty common these days.

W2NJS

You have to wonder if anyone thought to find out how many of the present radios do NOT need to be replaced because they're capable of NB operation already.

Confuzzled

Is there some kind of federal resource these departments can appeal to - maybe for a general grant available to public safety entities - to help them comply with this? God knows county governments won't spring for any sort of VFD expenses.

VFDs get a lot of Federal and State grants that are usually for rigs, gear or communications. Some even get them for small boats or other marine gear if they deal with water rescues.

jim202

You should start with your state and find out what is available and who to talk with about any possible grants. The problem with grants is that they take so long to get from the date you sent them in. A time frame of 2 years in not unheard of and over a year is normal.

This narrow band mandate has been on the board for well over ten (10) years now. Many have been hoping that the date will be extended again. I wouldn't put much faith in the FCC moving the date again. It has been done in the past, but the FCC has taken a very hard stand of change your radios or be fined and shut down. The FCC has been very vocal about no extensions, except in very special cases. They require the request be submitted with all justifications included. Not having the funding doesn't seem to be in the cards.

As others have said, this is not a new mandate. It has been well published in just about all the trade magazines that any public safety agency might read. Don't go crying on anyone's shoulder.

Bob_61

They might care if their own house burns down.

Status
Not open for further replies.