Firefighters: Return to analog radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedeb

This is a one reason I don't like digital syatems. As a firefighter for 22 yrs I sometimes relies on a scanner to let me know we had a call [some of it was back in the prepager days]

N

N_Jay

This is a one reason I don't like digital syatems. As a firefighter for 22 yrs I sometimes relies on a scanner to let me know we had a call [some of it was back in the prepager days]

EXCEPT, it seems (from the article) that the issue is with the console system and has nothing to do with digital vs. analog.

N1BHH

Sounds like they need to get side by side redundant consoles. Sounds to me like they have only one and cut costs during the bid process and are stuck with a bag of rocks. Every dispatch center should always have a redundant back up available right away, that way minimal loss of time. This isn't a taxi company or the local plumbing business, this is a life saving emergency service.

Redundant is the only way to go. We have 2 different backup pageing systems in our dispatch the first is a old console that we left in place in case the new computer console went down like they did bad until we got the bugs out. The other is a 100w mobile radio with a 2-tone page & also dtmf mic with the antenna on a tower behind dispatch this radio is setup to go through the repeater or if repeater is down can page on simplex.

glenspoor

Which to buy Analog or Digital

I live in Skowhegan and just purchased a nice PRO 137 scanner at Radio Shack and have the program from Scancat and it works great. MY QUESTION...... Did I make the right decision buying this analog or should I have spent the money and bought the PRO 106 digital/trunking scanner. I love what I have and it serves me well BUT what about the near future. Is the state of Maine or New England going digital soon and if so should I sell my 137 and purchase the 106 when it goes on sale? Your responses will be deeply appreciated.

Firefighter34

You just can't beat VHF for dispatch and communications between personel at a scene. As a firefighter I don't need or care whats going on 300 miles away. That EOC job. Motorola sure paid somebody off with this plan, every radio is costly and has a monthly service fee. Having said that Motorola still makes the best pagers (Minitor 5). Please be safe and take care of each other.

ILMRadioMan

I know VHF systems that dont work well either.

I also know UHF and 800 trunked systems that work excellently inside buildings.

I would say its a matter of design over naturally occurring propagation/penetration.

dick122

I live in Skowhegan and just purchased a nice PRO 137 scanner at Radio Shack and have the program from Scancat and it works great. MY QUESTION...... Is the state of Maine or New England going digital soon and if so should I sell my 137 and purchase the 106 when it goes on sale? Your responses will be deeply appreciated.

Check this information.

MSCommNet Project : Newsroom : OIT : Maine.gov

Status
Not open for further replies.