Firefox problems anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I couldn't reply as much cause I have no net at home been down for 3 weeks. I updated FF runs okay for now but I'm using IE 9 for youtube video's. I looked at task manager ram is running 1.2 gigs and CPU usage is 0-15% when I'm using FF/IE and yahoo

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Ff

I couldn't reply as much cause I have no net at home been down for 3 weeks. I updated FF runs okay for now but I'm using IE 9 for youtube video's. I looked at task manager ram is running 1.2 gigs and CPU usage is 0-15% when I'm using FF/IE and yahoo
Try queing up a couple of YouTube videos with FF and then check resources. And then let the system sit idle for 1 hour with the videos cued, come back and wake up the system and see how responsive FF is. I've found once the screen blanker kicks in, FF gets busy.

KD8PVX

FF Has mixed results with me. On Ubuntu 10.04 there is no issues, but with my bosses Win7 laptop it will lag. Constantly she has to wiggle the mouse before the next webpage shows up when ahe clicks on the link. I rarely ever get a chance to look at it since she is constantly working, but I have noticed she only puts the laptop in hibernate mode at night & never closes her browser windows. Needless to say FF was using 1.8 GB of RAM until I closed it and re-opened it. I have yet yo take another look at it.

I do agree though most browsers start out not being a hog and as versions go up more is added and more resources are utilized.

John_S

Been running FF now for about 5 or 6 years with no issues on XP Pro. I don't watch resources cuz I haven't had any issues. I do keep windows services to a minimum. I'm wondering if the real culprit here could be AV or anti malware software.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
FireFox

I'm wondering if the real culprit here could be AV or anti malware software.
So many pages use Flash now, including many pages here on RR, that just about every site qualifies as "AV". I do notice that Flash crashes a lot under FireFox. I don't have that problem with IE on the same PC with the same resources. It could be some compatibility issue with plug-ins.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The culprit is Firefox's "Plugin Container" which has been a part of every version since 3.6. Disable it and FF will run a hell of a lot better.

SOLVED: Firefox high CPU load with plugin-container | random neuron misfires

Let's not be so quick to proclaim FF useless until we do a little research first.

Also, anyone who recommends using IE with a straight face should never be allowed to dole out computer advice of any kind.

Chrome is a fine alternative for those who don't like FF for whatever reason.

So many pages use Flash now, including many pages here on RR, that just about every site qualifies as "AV". I do notice that Flash crashes a lot under FireFox. I don't have that problem with IE on the same PC with the same resources. It could be some compatibility issue with plug-ins.

"AV" as in Anti-Virus, not Audio-Visual. As stated above, your Flash crashes in FF are related to the Plugin Container. Disable it per the above instructions, upgrade to 7.0.1, then reevaluate it objectively. You may wind up reconsidering your negative position on it. Or not, either way, but please find something other than IE, for your own browsing safety and security.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The culprit is Firefox's "Plugin Container" which has been a part of every version since 3.6. Disable it and FF will run a hell of a lot better.
That's GREAT! I will read the info later .. and wonder why it hasn't been fixed in all the upgrades they've issued.

Let's not be so quick to proclaim FF useless until we do a little research first.
You provide some product to me, I will take it at face value and tell you what I think. Unlike most, I read documentation and I put stress on stuff. FF creators should make this issue CLEAR.

Also, anyone who recommends using IE with a straight face should never be allowed to dole out computer advice of any kind.
I hate MS products, but they are what are being used. I am "forced" to use IE8 and have not had anywhere near the issues with as with FF.

Chrome is a fine alternative for those who don't like FF for whatever reason.
If you don't mind providing all that information to a company who is in the business of putting it into a search engine.

"AV" as in Anti-Virus, not Audio-Visual. As stated above, your Flash crashes in FF are related to the Plugin Container. Disable it per the above instructions, upgrade to 7.0.1, then reevaluate it objectively. You may wind up reconsidering your negative position on it. Or not, either way, but please find something other than IE, for your own browsing safety and security.
See how acronyms get us in trouble? I disabled Anti-malware to see if it was the problem, it wasn't. Flash was clearly crashing, and that to me is AV (audio-visual). Thanks for the tip on the container. If that works I'll be happier as I'd just like FF to work (properly and responsively).

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
That's GREAT! I will read the info later .. and wonder why it hasn't been fixed in all the upgrades they've issued.

Mozilla doesn't consider the Plugin Container to be a problem, they consider it a beneficial feature of the browser. There's nothing to "fix" as far as they're concerned.

If you don't mind providing all that information to a company who is in the business of putting it into a search engine.

I hate to break it to you, but everything you do online is being tracked in some way. Everything. I read all these conspiracy theories about Chrome or Google or whatever else, and I just chuckle to myself. To use the Internet is to inherently give up some of your privacy.

That being said, I'm not a user of Chrome simply because I've got years worth of extensions and tweaks in FF that I've grown quite accustomed to. Chrome is a fine browser otherwise.

talkpair

I do notice that Flash crashes a lot under FireFox. I

For me, Firefox works great unless the page contains something using Flash Player.
If it contains something using Flash Player, it's hit and miss whether it will crash my browser or not.

YouTube crashes almost instantly if I go to their home page now......but if I follow a link, it does not.
It hasn't always been that way.

Keep in mind a lot of these annoying ads use flash player....Seems like the more 'busy' the web page is, the more likely it is to crash the browser.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
For me, Firefox works great unless the page contains something using Flash Player. If it contains something using Flash Player, it's hit and miss whether it will crash my browser or not.
IMHO too many sites now use Flash, icluding the Database pages here (to make the maps work). I find it "funny" that ads use Flash since it likely means I won't see them. If they were static (like ScannerMaster at the top of this page), they'd always show up.

Chauffeur6 said:
Mozilla doesn't consider the Plugin Container to be a problem, they consider it a beneficial feature of the browser. There's nothing to "fix" as far as they're concerned.
Therefore I give FF a thumbs down.

Chauffeur6 said:
I hate to break it to you, but everything you do online is being tracked in some way. Everything. I read all these conspiracy theories about Chrome or Google or whatever else, and I just chuckle to myself. To use the Internet is to inherently give up some of your privacy.
I want Google to work for the info rather than me handing it to them.

JokeInsurance

I've been hearing that the latest Flash and Shockwave are the reasons why Firefox is constantly freezing up for a lot of people recently. Can anyone here validate that statement? I'd like to hear more opinions on it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.