Firefox stops and computer starts to moan and groan while listing to feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

perry_kansas

Feed Provider
Everything is all and well with my feed except that after I have been listing to my own feed for over 24 hours using firefox/web player ( as I always have ) all of a sudden firefox stops responding and my computer cpu FAN will start moaning and groaning ( speeds up,,,,,slows down ) this will continue until I restart my computer.

Just for the record I am running the latest version of firefox and adobe flash and my computer is only a few months old and is absolutely free of any type of malware or virus's and is ALWAYS 100% up to date from windows update.

Has anybody else experienced this issue? Do you think it might be related to the way I am listing to my own feed using the WEB PLAYER.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Everything is all and well with my feed except that after I have been listing to my own feed for over 24 hours using firefox/web player ( as I always have ) all of a sudden firefox stops responding and my computer cpu FAN will start moaning and groaning ( speeds up,,,,,slows down ) this will continue until I restart my computer.

Just for the record I am running the latest version of firefox and adobe flash and my computer is only a few months old and is absolutely free of any type of malware or virus's and is ALWAYS 100% up to date from windows update.

Has anybody else experienced this issue? Do you think it might be related to the way I am listing to my own feed using the WEB PLAYER.

When was the last time you used a can of compressed air or a vaccum on the blower fan in your pc ? It could be so caked up with dust that the bearings are failing.
If not, those muffin fans can and do fail from time to time. Mine has 3 of them!

n9zas

perry_kansas

Feed Provider
When was the last time you used a can of compressed air or a vaccum on the blower fan in your pc ? It could be so caked up with dust that the bearings are failing.
If not, those muffin fans can and do fail from time to time. Mine has 3 of them!

n9zas

My computer is spotless inside and out ( NO DUST ) I keep it that way all the time.

My computer ONLY does this under the EXACT scenario in my initial post.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Try using IE or Google Chrome instead of Firefox, and see if the problems persist. I listen to my feed, and at times several others, with the Web Player and Java on Chrome just fine. I had problems with Firefox at home as well as at work. Firefox is being removed from all of our computers.

Last edited:

perry_kansas

Feed Provider
Try using IE or Google Chrome instead of Firefox, and see if the problems persist. I listen to my feed, and at times several others, with the Web Player and Java on Chrome just fine. I had problems with Firefox at home as well as at work. Firefox is being removed from all of our computers.

Firefox is a much safer browser then IE and I have never had any complaints about the years that I have been using it so there is no way I am just going to get rid of firefox.

I will open up my feed using IE as you suggested and use the web player to listen to it then I will just minimize that window and let it go for about a day and see if I can duplicate the problem.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
In the recent versions of Firefox, I've noticed a lot more problems than when I was using version 3. For the last few weeks I have been using Waterfox v9 (64 bit) and it seems to run pretty well. Firefox has always gobbled up memory especially if you have a bunch of tabs open.

Also, make sure your Adobe Flash is up-to-date. I've notice that it causes Firefox to crash a lot too.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

perry_kansas

Feed Provider
In the recent versions of Firefox, I've noticed a lot more problems than when I was using version 3. For the last few weeks I have been using Waterfox v9 (64 bit) and it seems to run pretty well. Firefox has always gobbled up memory especially if you have a bunch of tabs open.

Also, make sure your Adobe Flash is up-to-date. I've notice that it causes Firefox to crash a lot too.

My computer has 12Gb of Ram so having a browser open or having 100 browsers open is no big deal LOL!! and besides I personally have never had firefox be a resource hog concerning memory.

As stated in my first post in this thread my adobe flash is up to date however I just NOW noticed that firefox just released version 10.0 ( Today ) I am currently running 9.01 so I am going to instal the new 10.0 version here in a minute but I am still testing using IE as stated in my other post.

Thanks for the input.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
My computer has 12Gb of Ram so having a browser open or having 100 browsers open is no big deal LOL!! and besides I personally have never had firefox be a resource hog concerning memory.

As stated in my first post in this thread my adobe flash is up to date however I just NOW noticed that firefox just released version 10.0 ( Today ) I am currently running 9.01 so I am going to instal the new 10.0 version here in a minute but I am still testing using IE as stated in my other post.

Thanks for the input.

For both safety, and speed, Chrome and Opera are great.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the input.

Firefox is known to have memory leaks. If you leave it open for a while with a few tabs (ok, maybe 20) it will use about 1GB or more of RAM (depending on the sites open). My PC has 16GB of RAM and it still happens. It doesn't slow the PC down, just itself.

Let us know how v10 goes.

perry_kansas

Feed Provider
Update

So after almost 24 hours of listening to me feed using IE and the WEB PLAYER it stopped but my computer was not moaning and groaning and all I had to do was hit refresh in IE and it started playing again.

Now I am going to listen to my feed using firefox and just let it go and see what happens.

BTW my actual scannercast upload feed via my pc never malfunctions so even though my browser gave out after a day of listing everybody else could still listen.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

What happens if you listen to someone else's feed?

My guess is that when the feed increments to the next filename, that the system scrambles, trying to fix the "problem" it encounters.

perry_kansas

Feed Provider
adobe flash is the culprit

After almost a day of listing to my feed via firefox I happen to look over because I heard my computer moaning and groaning and I noticed that firefox was no longer playing my feed so I took out my cell phone to video tape the adobe flash error message where the WEB PLAYER should be and I actually caught on video it crashing, once it errored out my computer stopped moaning and groaning and all I had to do was hit refresh in my browser and the stream started playing again and I did not have to restart my computer.

I will post the video up here in a little bit.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
FireFox

FireFox IS the problem. There are a few things you can do, some may help, some may not.

As people have written, FireFox has memory leaks. The longer it is running, the slower it gets. Close all FireFox windows and re-open it. When you try to open it (immediately after closing) you might get a message that FireFox is still open. You'll see that in Task Manager or equivalent software. It takes tiem to despool memory and close all of itself once you've closed it. If you try to kill FireFox with Task Manager, then when you re-open it, it will take the time to despool the old instance before re-starting the new one.

I've tried to make sure FireFox is always the app in focus. When it isn't, it tends to do a lot of "housekeeping". I haven't fully investigated all it is doing, but I don't like it. It creates what appears to be a constant flow of log files (check your recycle bin to see them). As long as you're using FF, and don't run into other issues, it tends to behave better.

My solution is to NOT use FF to listen to your stream. I'd use WinAmp or other non-browser based media player. Of course, if you still have FF loaded, it could still steal lots of machine cycles and effectively cause the problem. It's very repeatable here.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
FireFox IS the problem. There are a few things you can do, some may help, some may not.

As people have written, FireFox has memory leaks. The longer it is running, the slower it gets. Close all FireFox windows and re-open it. When you try to open it (immediately after closing) you might get a message that FireFox is still open. You'll see that in Task Manager or equivalent software. It takes tiem to despool memory and close all of itself once you've closed it. If you try to kill FireFox with Task Manager, then when you re-open it, it will take the time to despool the old instance before re-starting the new one.

I've tried to make sure FireFox is always the app in focus. When it isn't, it tends to do a lot of "housekeeping". I haven't fully investigated all it is doing, but I don't like it. It creates what appears to be a constant flow of log files (check your recycle bin to see them). As long as you're using FF, and don't run into other issues, it tends to behave better.

My solution is to NOT use FF to listen to your stream. I'd use WinAmp or other non-browser based media player. Of course, if you still have FF loaded, it could still steal lots of machine cycles and effectively cause the problem. It's very repeatable here.

Well said. I use Firefox (of one flavor) for most everything but when ding certain tasks that I know it has trouble with, I use IE9.

Another thing to check is any plug-ins or add-ons you have installed to Firefox. I have had to disable some of mine that I have had installed for a long time as they may be compatible with new with newer versions so FF doe not disable them when it upgrades. But they just do not "play well" with newer versions.

Try disabling them all and see how it works. Then enable them one at a time until you find the one that has problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.