Firefox to sell ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Mozilla, the company behind the Firefox Internet browser, will start selling ads as it tries to grab a larger slice of the fast-expanding online advertising market.

The company said in a blog posting on Tuesday that it has reached out to potential corporate sponsors about its fledgling "Directory Tiles" program, targeted at first-time users.

Mozilla plans to sell ads in Firefox browser | Reuters

I will be migrating to full time Pale Moon. I currently still use Firefox, but with the next update FF 28, all hell will let lose and FF will have gone to the craper.

brandon

Database Admin
People still use Firefox?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

K7MEM

I haven't bothered to upgrade to the latest Firefox, so I am still using FF26. However, the "Directory Tiles" that they are talking about already exists in FF. It just doesn't work very well.

The "Directory Tiles" show up when you use the "New Tab" button. It is suppose to fill in over time with sites culled from the user's browsing history, frequently visited sites, and bookmarks. But I have never seen more than two of the boxes filled in. Maybe that's why they are putting sponsored web sites there. The sponsored sites will just fill in all the empty spaces.

I find that page a total waste of time and hope they give you an option to disable it.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
Sounds like it's time to give FF the old heave-ho; it's slowly been turning into bloatware, anyway.

I've not heard of the Pale Moon browser, but I will definitely give it a look.

Did Google get all of the holes in Chrome plugged?

Darth_vader

I stopped "upgrading" Firefox clear back when that abomination known as version 4 was released.

WB4CS

People still use Firefox?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly!

Google Chrome has been my go-to browser for quite some time. It's pretty nice to have all of my bookmarks and history synced between my work and home computers and my Nexus 5.

Kf4mnc

I haven't bothered to upgrade to the latest Firefox, so I am still using FF26. However, the "Directory Tiles" that they are talking about already exists in FF. It just doesn't work very well.

The "Directory Tiles" show up when you use the "New Tab" button. It is suppose to fill in over time with sites culled from the user's browsing history, frequently visited sites, and bookmarks. But I have never seen more than two of the boxes filled in. Maybe that's why they are putting sponsored web sites there. The sponsored sites will just fill in all the empty spaces.

I find that page a total waste of time and hope they give you an option to disable it.

I might be mistaken, but I believe you can disable or bypass the "tiles" by setting the homepage and new tab page to a different default page.

My thoughts exactly!

Google Chrome has been my go-to browser for quite some time. It's pretty nice to have all of my bookmarks and history synced between my work and home computers and my Nexus 5.

I primarily use Safari for Mac for similar reasons you listed but for syncing on my computer, iPad, and iPhone. I use Firefox as a backup for the few sites that don't work well on Safari.

I use Firefox on my work machines because it supports most sites. Internet Explorer is my backup and primary browser for Microsoft products like sharepoint, skydrive, office 365, etc.

Chrome/google have some cool features, but personally I am tired of giving google more information on me.

Darth_vader

Chrome is what people who don't give a flying ... about personal security and privacy use. There's really no better way of saying "I love Big Brother" than by saying you use Chrome.

Same goes for nearly every network-facing hardware and software product sold by that certain big tech monopoly up in Redmond during the past approximately 15 years. Or (especially) the other big one down in Cupertino.

K7MEM

I might be mistaken, but I believe you can disable or bypass the "tiles" by setting the homepage and new tab page to a different default page.

Yes, apparently you can turn it off or redirect it, but you can't just do it with the options.

There is a button in the upper right corner of the blank page that allows you to enable/disable the tiles.

To set a default page for the "new tab page" button you need to go into the configuration (about.config --> browser.newtab.url).

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Here is how to disable this BS!!

Goto about:config

Set the following

browser.newtab.url;about:blank

browser.newtabpage.enabled;false

Status
Not open for further replies.