Fireman Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I am not all that new to handheld radios, I have a moderate amount of experience with the Bendix King handheld (mostly EPH models) and I have 2 years experience with a Kenwood handheld. Here is the reason why I signed up for this forum though. I have recently went into business for myself and I need now to buy my own radio. Needless to say there are alot of new regs out there in my industry and so I am trying to figure out what radio will best suit my needs (get me by), and cost is the biggest concern of mine. At any rate I am still trying to figure out your forum here, it looks like a great place to learn.

Thanks for having me.

mikef1234

Premium Subscriber
I would go with what you feel comfortable with. Ease of use, cost etc. I lean more toward Uniden Bearcat brand. They have been around for well over 50 years and I have never had a problem with any of their radios. I have also used Radio Shack Brand Scanners at one time they were really big into radio but now they have a small variety. When looking for a radio you may consider e-bay. They have great prices and you still get the same quality ! Also the Scan Master site has some pretty good deals.

Yep been looking at ebay.....watching several items. I am just learning to be xtra careful. The radio has to be narrowband capable or its no good to me. There are alot of older radios on there for sale that wont work for me like the BK LPH and even the EPH. At any rate I am thinking about a TK-290, I have experience with em and I think it will get me through the upcoming season so I can get some more money together.

As a side note, it has to be either a Bendix King or a Kenwood, we are under contract. These are the only radios that they will service. Like if it broke they are required to service it, and they will program them for you too. I have never seen anything else out there in my 13 years of service. Although I am sure someone is out there with something different.

hoser147

Check around there are companies out there that will rent radio's that might be a good way to go starting out. What are you using it for, what are you licensed for? Welcome to RR.

jim202

Let me point out one important fact here to keep in mind if your going to purchase any brand of radio
for your business. Lt me step up on the soap box for a couple of words. \

All radios used on the 150 and the 450 MHz bands have to be either replaced, reprogrammed
or cease use of by January 01, 2013 as ordered by the FCC if they are not narrow band compliant.

OK, back to the facts here. What the statement above means is that there will be a flood of used
radios showing up on the used market. Make sure you do your homework on the radio your looking
at or considering to purchase for the VHF or the UHF band. It must be able to have the transmitter
modulation emissions mask meet the FCC requirement for narrow band operation. If not, your buying
a white elephant. The fines can get you $10,000 a day for each violation.

Now that I have got you attention, please be careful in what you decide to purchase.

Jim

Hello everyone, I am not all that new to handheld radios, I have a moderate amount of experience with the Bendix King handheld (mostly EPH models) and I have 2 years experience with a Kenwood handheld. Here is the reason why I signed up for this forum though. I have recently went into business for myself and I need now to buy my own radio. Needless to say there are alot of new regs out there in my industry and so I am trying to figure out what radio will best suit my needs (get me by), and cost is the biggest concern of mine. At any rate I am still trying to figure out your forum here, it looks like a great place to learn.

Thanks for having me.

Yeah Jim I totally here what you say, I mean I have been doing alot of research on the subject, but do to money issues I am just getting something that will get me through this year. I think I have found something that will do it and fit my budget. TK-290, and on the other note I have looked at the Icom radios and they are not something that I can use so it does not do me much good to look. Like looking a candy through the window...lol But thank you.

Yeah my buddy just bought a TK-2170, seems like it is going to work out nicely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.