Pro-668: Firmware Rollback

Status
Not open for further replies.

kngspace

Hi,

I apologize if this is re-post, or if the answer is somewhere I didn't see it.

I'm trying to use the the GRE tool to rollback my 668 to radio shack firmware. It has whistler 4.6. I want to send it in for the upgrade.

I keep getting this "cpu update error", or the scanner restarts. Is there another step I can do?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 668 Capture.jpg
    668 Capture.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 307

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
W A R N I N G
Using CPU 4.6 & DSP 3.1 together with setting the date to after June 01 2017, will cause the hacked version of the Pro-668, PSR-800 and/or Pro-18 product(s) to be LOCKED. In this state, the DMR decode will be CANCELED. In addition, it will be unable to accept a Downgrade/Restore to the OEM and/or other WS1080 Firmware versions.

If your scanner has been LOCKED, the Whistler Official Upgrade (WOU) program is the only solution to unlock your scanner. Note: the WOU will cost more for a LOCKED scanner due to the needed replacement of the daughter circuit board, which, includes the EEPROM and Bootload, the CPU, as well as the DSP.

How do i know if it's LOCKED?
Check by Manually Programming DMR and hearing decode/intelligible transmissions
or
Turn Scanner while it's loading (after power button is hit, while the Whistler Splash screen is displayed) holding MENU until you see the "Bootloader CPU DSP version screen", if it's DSP 4.6 and CPU 3.1 with the date set to after June 01, 2017, you are locked (press Menu to return to normal screen).
Or in GREFwTool try to apply older WS1080 or OEM firmware.

This is from the wiki-link here=
Loading WS1080 Firmware to a PRO-668 - The RadioReference Wiki

If it has been locked you can still have it upgraded but it will cost you more.

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
https://whistlergroup.com/products/upgrade

From the whistler website=
Part # LEGACY-UP

Units free of operational defects will be upgraded to the authorized Whistler DMR - $59.99

Units operating with unauthorized Firware will be upgraded to the authorized Whistler DMR - $89.99

Units previously not eligible (not fully functioning) for the authorized Whistler DMR update will be repaired and upgraded to include the authorized Whistler DMR - $120

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Locked radio

Another caution is the software. Even though GRE made the RS radio, that does not mean the software or updates are compatible. RS versions were sometimes "dumbed down" versions of the GRE and would not work with the same software.

I sent my Pro 668 in for the upgrade when I received it back the radio boots up with the Whistler logo. I compared it to my ws1088 I don't see any differences in the features between the two radios. The only difference is that the ws1088 has a frequency keyboard. Both are radios perform exactly the same. The $60 I spent was a good investment and the pro 668 performs flawlessly. If the radio has been locked Whistler will be able to tell you that and you'll just pay an extra $30 to Get It upgraded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.