Firmware U2.1/ PSR-500 Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I updated my firmware to 2.1 last night in my PSR-500. Since doing so, I immediately noticed a reduction in the CC signal strength for my state's VHF TRS (Virginia STARS). This afternoon, I changed back to 2.0 but the signal strength was still weak. So, I reinstalled 2.1 and downloaded my Win500 file to the scanner again but no changes were seen.

My Pro-197 (firmware has not been updated, yet) is still running strong in my vehicle on STARS. It has an external antenna. I hooked the 500 to the antenna and it improved it a little... however nothing like it was in the past or close to the 197's current performance.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? It seems odd the problem would start right after the firmware update. What could cause this?

K9WG

Is there really a reduction in signal or is it just the "meter" reading? I know that you can change the sensativity of the signal strength display (meter).

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I wondered the same thing about the meter reading. It appears to be a reduction in the signal, however. I have 3 scanlists for STARS... each containing one of the closest towers to my location. The scanner only appears to be tracking one scanlist and quickly skips over the other two, as if the CC is not strong enough to decode.

When I analyze each system, one scanlist has about a 98% decode rate and the other has 48%-88% decode rate... however the scanner is still skipping the CC most of the time.

The 3rd scanlist is showing about a 98%-99% and about 2-3 bars. It seems a little weaker than usual as well, .but at least it is (usually) tracking this CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.