BCD536HP: Firmware Update problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

se

I know this isnt exactly the proper forum to post this in but I Bought the Uniden BCD536HP scanner last week. And I read the owners manual for it, and I do have it powered on and the usb cable connected at both connections. When I try yo do firmware updates nothing appears in the 'select microSD' dialog box that comes up. Am I suppose to turn a knob or press a certain key to be able to do the update? Is my microSD card damaged?

Thanks Sheldon.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesO

Sounds like the computer is not seeing the scanner/SD card?

If using a laptop, turn off Power Saving for the USB port.

Try another USB port on the computer and/or try a different computer.

Assuming the USB cable is plugged into the scanner, as soon as you plug the USB cable into the computer, the scanner should prompt for Mass Storage or Serial Port.

If you do not get this Mass Storage and Serial Port prompt, there is a problem somewhere with the computer/USB port, cable or scanner.

se

Hi again.

Its my desktop computer Im trying to do firmware updates and it has been since I received the BCD536HP and thats how I would like it. I did the power off and then back on again on the pc and the scanner and still get the same results. All my USB ports are working. Anything else I can try?

Sheldon.

JamesO

The scanner should default into the Mass Storage/Serial scree as soon as it detects even 5 Volts via USB.

Do you have laptop that you can try or a standard USB power adapter?

Is the cable plugged into the front of the scanner correctly and fully?

Jay911

Feed Provider
Follow my last post. Plug in the scanner to the USB cable, and hit E to get into mass storage mode. Now you can do the firmware update.

JamesO

Follow my last post. Plug in the scanner to the USB cable, and hit E to get into mass storage mode. Now you can do the firmware update.
Unclear if the OP is actually getting the Mass Storage/Serial Screen, kind of hard to miss as the scanner basically shuts down scanning and will stay on the Mass Storage/Serial screen prompt once the USB connection is detected/power from the USB is detected.

I am thinking the OP is not getting the screen prompt?

Jay911

Feed Provider
If he's not, then either the radio is broken or the USB port on the computer is broken. Or it's a bad cable. In any case, it's a fairly simple process and all the steps have been identified.

JamesO

If he's not, then either the radio is broken or the USB port on the computer is broken. Or it's a bad cable. In any case, it's a fairly simple process and all the steps have been identified.
OP needs to tell us if the scanner stops and the screen prompts show up. This is how all the HP series scanners behave when the USB cable is plugged in.

JamesO

Really not different than the HP1, similar type of prompts when the scanner is connected to the computer. Sentinel does not even need to be open.

If you still have a HP1, the cable is the same for the HP1 and the 536HP.

Does the computer communicate with the HP1 if you still have it? If so, then you know the USB port and cable you are using for the HP1 is good, then this leave the 536HP as a possible problem??

Also be aware that the HomePatrol Sentinel software is different than the x36HP Sentinel software.

se

HI.

I dont have the HP-1 anymore because I traded it into the store where I bought it 4 years ago for the BCD536HP. Where do I go in Windows 7 Home Premium to get to USB Settings, is it Control Panel?

Sheldon.

JamesO

I dont have the HP-1 anymore because I traded it into the store where I bought it 4 years ago for the BCD536HP. Where do I go in Windows 7 Home Premium to get to USB Settings, is it Control Panel?

Sheldon.
Here is what we need to know.

Computer on, scanner on hopefully scanning, Sentinel open or closed, does not matter.

Plug the USB mini cable into the front of the scanner hear the SD card slot, plug the other end of the cable it the computer. Make sure the cable is plugged into the scanner fully and not just partially plugged in.

Watch the scanner display, does it change? Tell us what happens.

If NOTHING changes on the display, you have problems. We can then move on from there.

ALL HP series scanners quit scanning and change to the screen prompt Mass Storage or Serial when connected to a USB power source or computer. You are then required to push the Yes or No button to move on from the screen prompt.

Really simple, answer the questions so we can understand what is happening.

se

Hi.

Yes my computer and scanner are both powered on and the usb cable are connected to both devices at the same time. When they are, the scanner display shows that its in ID scan/scanning mode. I leave Sentinel open because thats how/where Ive been trying to do the firmware updates from. Do any of those things? Please let me know.

Thanks Sheldon.

bama9999

Premium Subscriber
If you unplug the USB cable from the computer, then plug it back into it, what happens on the scanner display?

Jay911

Feed Provider
Try a different USB port on the computer. If it still doesn't bring up the mass storage prompt on the scanner, try a different USB cable. If it still doesn't work, either the computer or radio needs repair.

When you plug the cable in, does the computer make a sound from the speaker?

JamesO

The USB cable is a pretty standard one, as long as you can find another cable for a camera or phone it will work.

You do not even need a computer, a USB charger for a phone or tablet will trigger the scanner into the alternate screen.

Do you have any USB flash drives you can try in your computer?

Take your scanner and he cable to a friends house or where you purchased it and try ANY other computer or USB power adapter.

This is really simple, one of 3 problems.

1. Computer USB port problem
2. USB to scanner cable problem
3. Scanner problem

The cable will be the hardest thing to determine it is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.