Firmware Upgrade for UBCD436PT Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzBassman

Dear Forum Members,

I have recently found out that there is or are upgrades for the 436PT. There are three upgrades:

1. PROVOICE $75AUD
2. DMR $85AUD
3. NXDN. $75AUD

The only one I believe I understand is number 2. DMR. Could Forum members please tell me which upgrades I should select or should I select all 3. I only visit Melbourne once a month and even D-Star I use a RFShark OpenSpot. My current location is in Inverloch Victoria where there is only one local repeater on 2 metres. There are no 70cm repeaters. There is no D-Star unless I use my RFShark. There possibly is no requirement for extra digital modes unless I visit Melbourne. My Call sign is VK3ZT. I can be found on QRZ for personal emails. Maybe a chat on the phone could guide myself in the correct direction.

Kind regards,

Paul.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
ProVoice is a digital mode used on some EDACS trunked systems.

NXDN is another digital mode used for primarily business, but sometimes public safety (in the US...unknown its prevalence in Australia).

rustynswrail

Unless you visit Tasmania on a regular basis, Provoice is of little value. DMR is used by ham and commercial users as is NXDN. NXDN is mainly used by commercial systems with very little NXDN amateur use. There are no DMR/ NXDN emergency service users in Australia. Some minor government agencies use them by are of little interest overall.

To the average scanner enthusiast, D-Star, Fusion and some of the other esoteric digital modes are about as interesting as watching water dry.

DMR does have a following in the amateur world mainly due to a network of repeaters that permits international contacts. The 70cm DMR repeaters should be known to you or can be found on some of the amateur websites.

Programming the 436PT for DMR and NXDN can be an issue if you are not careful. The US Zipcode function would not work here as our radios systems and post code assignments are different to the US. So it all has the be done manually, either through the scanner or software.

Another word of advice, find some local (Australian) forums rather than one 12,000 kms away. You will find a Victorian group here, membership is free http://vrz.boards.net/ more and better information regarding what services/companies use DMR/NXDN/P25 can be found there.

R

Status
Not open for further replies.