Firmware upgrade problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvham

I am trying to upgrade the firmware in my Pro-164 from 1.01 to 1.02. Downloaded the firmware upgrade file, purchased the 20-047 cable, installed drivers as directed with the cable which has conflicting instructions between the CD and the printed instructions. Either way, the computer recognizes cable and says it is ready to use. The instructions with the upgrade file state to plug the cable into the scanner and while holding down the program key, to turn the scanner on. Scanner supposed to enter it's "CPU SW upgrade" mode but no matter what I do, it enters "Clone Mode". Took 'puter, scanner and cable to local RS store, substituted new cable, same outcome. We then performed the same steps on a Pro-96 they had and the same outcome, "Clone Mode". I downloaded a fresh driver file from the RS site and same outcome. There must be something I am doing incorrectly. I appreciate any suggestions.

Joe

Bucko

The most common thing is the wrong com port, check your device manager (in computer management) for the assigned com port for your USB adaptor. Com 4 is a common one but will vary from puter to puter.

mikey60

I am trying to upgrade the firmware in my Pro-164 from 1.01 to 1.02. Downloaded the firmware upgrade file, purchased the 20-047 cable, installed drivers as directed with the cable which has conflicting instructions between the CD and the printed instructions. Either way, the computer recognizes cable and says it is ready to use. The instructions with the upgrade file state to plug the cable into the scanner and while holding down the program key, to turn the scanner on. Scanner supposed to enter it's "CPU SW upgrade" mode but no matter what I do, it enters "Clone Mode". Took 'puter, scanner and cable to local RS store, substituted new cable, same outcome. We then performed the same steps on a Pro-96 they had and the same outcome, "Clone Mode". I downloaded a fresh driver file from the RS site and same outcome. There must be something I am doing incorrectly. I appreciate any suggestions.

Joe

Try turning on the scanner while pressing the PGM key with the cable unplugged, and then plug the cable into the radio.

Mike

rvham

Thanks Bucko and Mike. Problem is Bucko that I cannot get that far. The scanner will not go into the firmware upgrade mode. I did go ahead and set the upgrade program for COM6 which is were my device driver assigns it. And Mike, it still comes up with "Clone Mode". Thanks to you both.

So your saying that when the scanner has no cable in the PC/IF port, and you hold down the PGM button AS you turn the scanner on (start holding down PGM, tehn turn the VOL Knob clockwise.)

If you still can't get into the PGM mode, something must be wrong. If it does go into Program Mode, you will hear a beep and the backlight will come on saying the Boot Ver. and the Appl Ver. and some instructions.

If it still doesn't work, you may have a defective unit. Take it back to Radio shack and see if you can trade it in for another one. The problem isn't the computer (at least at this stage), it is the scanner.

Good Luck! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.